HELLO, I'M FILM. AND I'M DIGITAL VIDEO

Michael Ryan

Hello All,

Check out my I'M A MAC spoof. Only this time it's film vs. digital video.

Follow the link to my film blog at CHARLIE DON'T FILM www.charliedontfilm.squarespace.com

Enjoy.

Mike

Edited by Michael Ryan

It's an amusing idea, despite the obnoxious elitism. Although I guess we are all guilty of that from time to time, myself included.

But I think this spoof can be improved.

Building on the idea of video wanting to look like film, VIDEO GUY should actually be trying to look like FILM GUY throughout the entire commercia, but in ways that are realistically impossible or extremely difficult for video to look like film.

Like maybe FILM GUY is wearing a white shirt with blak pants, and when VIDEO GUY puts on a white shirt he's all blown out and FILM GUY gets blinded, and the black pants that VIDEO GUY puts on are also a mess.

Then FILM GUY is fast moving, and as VIDEO GUY tries to keep up, he gets all smeary and smudgy.

And then VIDEO GUY puts on this big bulky top heavy contraption on his head that causes him to wobble, struggling to maintain his balance. - 35mm lens adapter.

And how bout shooting each actor in their respective format...the difference in frame rates , skin tones, etc....

I think it would be funny if different video tape machines keep falling and crashing right near VIDEO GUY:

FILM GUY

What are those?

VIDEO GUY

The latest video formats...they keep throwing new ones at me.

I don't know, just some ideas.

Some more conversations...

FILM GUY is covered in dust, hair and scratches. He looks like he's been beaten up. And is shaking.

VIDEO GUY

What's up? You look terrible.

FILM GUY

Oh, nothing. I'm just in distribution.

FILM GUY is inside a big can.

VIDEO GUY

Why are you in there?

FILM GUY

I'm waiting to be developed.

VIDEO GUY

Really? So when do we get to see you?

FILM GUY

Tommorow.

A third person stands next to FILM GUY.

VIDEO GUY

Hi I'm video.

FILM GUY mouths the words while SOUND GUY says them.

SOUND GUY

And I'm Film.

VIDEO GUY

What's up? You don't speak.

Again FILM GUY mouths the words while SOUND GUY says them.

SOUND GUY

Well, no. I get this guy to do it.

FILM GUY points to SOUND GUY.

VIDEO GUY

That doesn't seem right.

FILM GUY mouths the words, SOUND GUY doesn't react in time and says them a few moments later.

SOUND GUY

It's perfectly normal.

FILM GUY wacks SOUND GUY and mouths the words "You Idiot".

We all know this was inevitable.

Redundant film vs. video debate in T-minus 10...

I wasn't trying to make this a film vs debate. Although I was going to suggest that the FILM GUY be played by an 100+ year old man and VIDEO GUY be played by someone in his 20s-30s. :D

I work with both formats every single day and have to put up with their respective strengths and weaknesses every single day, so I don't mind making fun of either format.

As you said yourself "It's an amusing idea, despite the obnoxious elitism" - ditch the obnoxious elitism by making fun of both sides and your left with an amusing idea. Hopefully others see the fun and humour in it.

Cheers,

Will

I wasn't trying to make this a film vs debate. Although I was going to suggest that the FILM GUY be played by an 100+ year old man and VIDEO GUY be played by someone in his 20s-30s. :D

I work with both formats every single day and have to put up with their respective strengths and weaknesses every single day, so I don't mind making fun of either format.

As you said yourself "It's an amusing idea, despite the obnoxious elitism" - ditch the obnoxious elitism by making fun of both sides and your left with an amusing idea. Hopefully others see the fun and humour in it.

Cheers,

Will

I hear ya. I was actually expecting others to chime in and turn the thread into a mess.

FILM GUY and VIDEO GUY hug and shake hands. :P

VIDEO GUY looks like's he's in his 20s or 30s but is quite a bit older than that; maybe his graying hair has been "color corrected" ? (Although it has a reputation for being never twice the same color....) :D

-Sam

Hello All,

Thanks for all your comments.

Now, remember this was all for fun.

If you shoot film or video or love your PC or your Mac, that's just great. More power to ya!

Sometimes we just need to sit back and laugh and for no other reason than it's funny.

Mike

Film guy has an entourage of five guys standing around.

VIDEO GUY

Who are all those people?

FILM GUY

It takes five guys to get me from the can, to the camera, then back to the can.

VIDEO GUY

Five?!

FILM GUY

Yeah, then another bunch to get me back out of the can and up on the screen.

VIDEO GUY

Wow, sounds complicated.

FILM GUY

Well, at least I never get lonely!

Everybody laughs. Fade to black.

Film Guy and Video Guy walk on screen from their respective stage sides. It is immediately evident that they are very similar in look, almost like twins. They begin talking and moving exactly in sync, telling a story to "the camera." The story is funny, emotional, exciting, and entertaining. Both Guys finish telling the story, bow, then walk back off camera in exactly the same way they arrived. The offscreen audience applauds equally loud for both.

Fade to black.