different models of bolex

Jason Maeda

i was wondering if some bolex fans out there could tell me what the best models are. there are so many different types available it is a little dizzying. i understand that some have better viewfinder systems, some seem to have three lens tourets as opposed to others with a single lens mount, etc.

so what should one look for when looking for a bolex?

and if anyone has an opinion on the best lenses that often accompany bolexes it would be much appreciated.

jk :ph34r:

• Premium Member

Jason,

It depends on what you are looking to do. They still make the Bolex in Switzerland. The model SBM and EL. The SBM is a Spring wound, Bayonet mount, with a Magazine saddle, ergo the name SBM. The EL is an electric motorized camera which you can buy a crystal sync for to make it run at exactly 24 frames per second, or 25 frames per second if you are in Europe.

A popular model is the older EBM, Electic motor, Bayonet mount, with a Magazine saddle. It is the precursor to the EL. You can also get a crystal sync for this model and you can get 400 ft magazines, as well as use 100 ft spools in camera. The most popular lens for this is the 16-100 POE lens by Kern Switar. Many of the EBMs on ebay come with this lens.

Do a google search for Andrew Alden, who runs a Bolex web site in the UK. He has lots of information about the different models and he is a great guy to buy Bolex equipment from. The stuff you get from Andrew works, and he stands behind it if there are any problems. You can get lucky on ebay, but unfortunately you can also get burned.

Good luck, and have fun.

-Tim

Greetings Jason,

Andrew Alden has an excellent book, the Bolex Bible. Lots of interesting information in it.

I actually also recommend his other books.

If Bolex is the road you choose, go for a 1:1 shaft.

There will be plenty of gear around at decent prices, ebay is full of it.

Just be careful about the lenses, don't mix up RX lenses and standard ones.

Regarding mounts bayonet might be wiser as you can easily get adapters for the more recent mount such as PL, Eclair, Nikon mount etc... This makes upgrading to S16 less expensive in the end.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Emmanuel from Munich, RX 5 owner