David Letterman

• Premium Member

Watching a Letterman interview with Jim Carey about "23" tonight, they zoomed in tight on a soda can he was holding. There was a distinct cross-hatch patern in the out-of-focus highlights in the BG, indicating some kind of net on the lens of the TV camera (presumable studio HD cameras). Anyone have any insight on this?

I watched the same interview, but didn't notice the background at all...I was too busy trying to see the "23" on the soda can, ha ha (Carrey didn't quite pose the can right)

Perhaps it was just an artifact from compression (such as was exemplified in a previous thread about "Deja Vu") I suppose the same could happen with studio broadcast HDcams?

• Premium Member
Perhaps it was just an artifact from compression (such as was exemplified in a previous thread about "Deja Vu") I suppose the same could happen with studio broadcast HDcams?

It's certainly not the same thing since they don't use the Genesis on Letterman.

Sounds like some kind of filter or net, but I've never heard of an entertainment talk show using nets before. Of course they could, I've just never heard of it.