Supper 16 Frame perfect for Normal Tv???

saleem dad

Hi

can any one tell me the supper 16mm frame is perfect for normal tv? i means after telecine when the film on air on tv is full screen ???

there r canfusion beoz some budy say the 16mm frame perfect for hd tv. whta is means???

welcome for advice.

• Site Sponsor
Hi

can any one tell me the supper 16mm frame is perfect for normal tv? i means after telecine when the film on air on tv is full screen ???

there r canfusion beoz some budy say the 16mm frame perfect for hd tv. whta is means???

welcome for advice.

I think there are 2 approaches used these days SD and HD.

For SD only transfer either you take a 4:3 extraction from the 1.66 frame or you do a 16:9 transfer and sets will automatically (if setup right) display either 4:3 or 16:9 depending on the screen viewed on.

For HD post Super will generally be transfered to 1080p in 16:9 and then a 4:3 center extraction can be taken out for SD broadcast. I think this is mostly how sporting events are done. For narrative work you could do a 16:9 HD and 16:9 SD which on 4:3 sets will leterbox.

There are a million variables in this and it depends on what the creative/producing team want the film to look like on different sets especially considering how many 16:9 sets have been sold in the last 10 years.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

The Super-16 full aperture camera gate is around 1.68 : 1. Usually this is transferred to full-frame 16x9 HD or 16x9 SD (which is 1.78 : 1) by slightly cropping 1.68 to 1.78.

If you transferred to 4x3 SD full-frame (no letterboxing) you'd only be using a Regular 16mm area of the Super-16 frame.

Many TV shows shot in Super-16 transfer to full-frame 16x9 HD, post in 16x9 HD... but broadcast a standard-def version that has been cropped on the sides to 4x3. A few might decide to broadcast it letterboxed instead (1.78 matte on a 4x3 master) in order to hold the whole 16x9 composition.

The advantage of Super-16 is that it can make both good 16x9 and 4x3 transfers.