ntsc or pal on xl1

David Bradley

Well now here's an interesting thought. If my market is both US and abroad am I better off shooting PAL, knowing that PAL is a bit better in resolution and that I can convert to NTSC later on? Of course there are other hurdles in that question, but it's an interesting point academically.

Well now here's an interesting thought. If my market is both US and abroad am I better off shooting PAL, knowing that PAL is a bit better in resolution and that I can convert to NTSC later on?

Back when I lived in the US, I knew of a few freelancers that would offer PAL as their main shooting platform (beta, SP & Digi). It was a better resolution (as you stated) and it was closer to 24fps. This was before 24fps cameras.

Of course they would transfer over to NTSC for final output. If you have time for the conversion it's not a bad idea.

Well now here's an interesting thought. If my market is both US and abroad am I better off shooting PAL, knowing that PAL is a bit better in resolution and that I can convert to NTSC later on? Of course there are other hurdles in that question, but it's an interesting point academically.

Well, yes of course that would be a viable option. I know a full-time pro videographer (commercials, History Channel, etc), who shoots 25p PAL for the resolution, and he has no overseas clients, as far as I know.

But say the question didn't involve PAL-country clients. You want higher resolution, and/or slightly smoother motion, but still want the "film look". The answer is to shoot in 30p. Give it a try on your next setup. Light for film, etc., then shoot once in 24p and again in 30p for comparison. The results are very nice.