Eclair ACL Super-16 Conversion

Craig Knowles

I'm getting ready to have my ACL converted to Super-16 at Visual Products. As part of the process, they replace the standard 175-degree shutter with a 144-degree shutter.

In all, that amounts to a 1/49th to 1/60th change in exposure time. Will this amount of shutter change be all that noticable? Will my new S-16 footage suddenly start to look like dreaded video? :rolleyes:

• Premium Member
I'm getting ready to have my ACL converted to Super-16 at Visual Products. As part of the process, they replace the standard 175-degree shutter with a 144-degree shutter.

In all, that amounts to a 1/49th to 1/60th change in exposure time. Will this amount of shutter change be all that noticable? Will my new S-16 footage suddenly start to look like dreaded video? :rolleyes:

The frame rate has more to do with the film look than the angle of the shutter. I have an Eclair ACL that originally had a 175 degree shutter. Bernie O. of Super16inc.com changed it to a 144 degree shutter.

To be honest with you, I can't tell the difference. In fast moving footage you may see a little more strobing,

but I doubt it will be that significant.

Get a quote from Bernie O. http://www.super16inc.com/

You will get much better personal service and probably a better price. :)

The frame rate has more to do with the film look than the angle of the shutter.

I disagree. 24fps or 200fps in film both look like film when shot on film, but if you reduce the shutter angle, film can take on a hyper-real asthetic that has a much more pronounced effect than film speed. Look at Gladiator for instance. It looks nothing like video, but the hyper reality of the low shutter angle is palpable to the point where it starts to take on some characteristics of HD.

Get a quote from Bernie O. http://www.super16inc.com/

You will get much better personal service and probably a better price. :)

I did. The price was effectively the same. The deciding factor for me is that I live 20 minutes away from Visual Products, have a relationship with them already, and don't have to deal with shipping. I've heard great things about Bernie's Lazerbrighten process though.

Edited by Craig Knowles

Dear CRaig

I actually like the strobbing effect

that's why I'M BUYING a costumized Eclair NPR, than a Aaton Ltr..... but that's besides the point

1/48 ( standart) have a more soft look to things the same with 1/24 ( well softer) even do you are shooting with film, it will be never close to a video like cine shooting with the DVX100 at those shutter rates, but it look killer and be in need for those situations in your script.

Now you are shooting with film,and I want people to understand that, first you need a soft look sometimes so that could be good, but I feel that a 1/60 that will be a great balance within soft and choppy look.

I hope I made sense with my crazy english

Best