Super 8 Questions

Federico Casal

Hi, I wanted to ask you these questions:

1. Do you know of any short film shot on Super 8 that I could see? Thanks.

2. Which cameras are good and which ones aren't. I reffer to those that last, quality made, and that their performance is right. And which ones should I stay away from. Thanks.

3. Does a home telecine with a min-dv camera delivers good quality? Or is it better to send it to a place that does that professionaly? Thanks.

Any advice should be useful. I'm new at this. Thank youuu!!!!! :)

2. Which cameras are good and which ones aren't. I reffer to those that last, quality made, and that their performance is right. And which ones should I stay away from. Thanks.

3. Does a home telecine with a min-dv camera delivers good quality? Or is it better to send it to a place that does that professionaly? Thanks.

Canon 814 xl-s or 1014 xl-s are just a few good cameras. If you want good results that isn't too costly, find a person that has a DV Sniper or Workcenter to do the transfer (look up moviestuff.com for more info) These are frame by frame scans of the film. The reason you are filming with super 8 and not video is because you want that "film" look so why go on the cheap with a home telecine. They can put the film on a mini-dv tape and then you can run that back to your non-liner editing program via firewire for great results.

Edited by jason duncan

Hi,

Here is a link of a short I made shot in s8 and telecined at home with a miniDV camera. Careful, it's 105MB...

http://jcsmr.anu.edu.au/~rleao/TMWTTR.avi

What do you wish to do with your Video version? Are you planning to do Digital Editing on a Computer, or is your Video version just for personal viewing? If you are going to do editing with the Film itself, then the quality of the Video version is not as important, and you can save money by making a home Video from a projection. If you are planning to do Digital Editing, then you would want a quality Telecine Video version.

What plug in are you using?

i thing i use divx 4 (no plugins), just left click/save link as. It plays in VLC and divx player (www.videolan.org)

Thanks!!

By the way, I used svema Quartzchrome (no kodak) in super8 cartridges and a bit of fomapan trimmed and fit to re loadable s8 cartridges.