hey all

i thought id share some frame grabs of a short i shot very recently. the film tells the story of a girl who finds herself stuck in a world of nightmares and lies which reflects her own life and struggles to accept it and escape from it.

because of the very deep subject matter, the photography had to be quite striking and reflect this nightmarish and troubled world.

the director wanted to use three colours as a strong visual mark: yellow (instability) , green (sickness) and pink (beauty), therefore i constantly used different gels on my lights, trying not to emulate the italian psycotronic B movies too much.

we had an old and rusty ARRI SRII with some even older Zeiss lenses ( 25, 16, 12 and 9.5 all at T1.3). our stocks were FUJI ETERNA 250d and 500t. i found the FUJI stock to be quite soft and less contrasty than the Kodak counterpart and i rated everything 2/3 of a stop slower. after that we went for a 2k spirit grade which unfortunately i could not attend but was definitely worth it

the director wanted very straight on compositions and framings: i found it quite hard at the beginning as i always tend to have a bit of dinamism in the picture, but i agreed that in this case the story had to be told in a very "straight way", very harsh, so we didnt use a lot of camera movement.

our main reference was the photography of Jan Saudek.

here some very awfully compressed screen grabs: everything fas framed to 1.66 and these stills are in the wrong ratio for some obscure reasons

www.jpg

B4.jpg

F5.jpg

D8EXCUKMouth02211310.jpg

F8.jpg

F10-14hj.jpg

F4.jpg

F10-14w.jpg

• Premium Member

It looks great.

These look like frame grabs from a 16x9 transfer. Anyway, even a 4x3 transfer doesn't use square pixels and requires some stretching in Photoshop for frame grabs to look correct, but definitely you have to do that with 16x9 PAL or NTSC frame grabs.

I don't know off the top of me head what percentage you need to stretch the pixels by, but in Photoshop you can turn history on and record it. Once you do that you can save your work flow and batch process the rest of the stills. I think from Photoshop 5 and later you can save the workflow as a droplet which is very handy to have next time you want to share some grab frames.

Hey,

I re-exported your images so they show up correctly. You posted images still in 1.2. Did you get tiff sequence from your 2k spirit?

What stock did you use for the colored gels part. I'm always a little confused how to balance color on film. Like how did you know how the green would show up in 3200k or 5600k?

They look great. I like the single top light, I feel kind of sick after looking at these, though.

20070304-01.jpg

20070304-02.jpg

20070304-03.jpg

20070304-04.jpg

20070304-05.jpg

20070304-06.jpg

20070304-07.jpg

20070304-08.jpg

I can take this images down if this is a problem, I just thought you might want to show them in the correct aspect ratio.

Cheers,

Matt

well,

thanks everyone for your input and nice words. i just got them from the director, i am quite sure she took them straight from Final Cut pro as Tiff images and then somehow turned them into Jpegs in photoshop.

Matt, theres no problem, actually thanks for resizing them correctly, i really appreciate it.

about the colors: its quite simple. if you are using tungsten stock like i did ( 500t 8673) you know that any 3200k lamp will record white light, therefore you start from there adding color onto white...so for that green close up i had a 2k going trough a 4x4 frame of frost, and i knew it would be white light; so i just added a green gel and i got that green cast on her face

• 3 months later...