greenscreen results from DVX100??

We're going to be shooting our next music video on March 28th.

We've done a greenscreen test at the location already with close

to the same level of lighting that we'd like to use for the real shoot.

But upon our composite test, our results have been completely

UNSATISFACTORY! and UNUSABLE! It seems like Final Cut doesn't

key very well.?

Looking for any footage or composite shots from any greenscreen

composites that turned out well......using a DVX100 or other DV

camera.

Any advice to the greenscreen world with DV would be greatly

appreciated!. (which isn't the

prime choice medium to shoot with...I know, but this budget can only

afford a DVX100)

:) thanks

Edited by seth christian

Any advice to the greenscreen world with DV would be greatly

appreciated!.

You can't do this. Color information is extremely compressed in DV. It will give you blocky looking edges and other nasty looking artifacts. It will always look bad no matter what software you use.

Read this article on codecs and color space, it will illuminate the limitations of dv.

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/colorspace/

Don't shoot greenscreen with DV!

I agree minidv is crap for greenscreen.. but there is a product called ULTRA 2 and it is supposed to be the best product for minidv greenscreen work.

But I've never tried it out myself ive only seen a tutorial on it, and I was impressed.

I dont have a link to the website but google ULTRA 2 and Im sure you'll find a link

If you HAVE to go with DV and greenscreen then you'll only have good luck with a professional plugin like Kelight for after effects/shake

I was able to borrow an unused license of it from a production house and it worked wonders on some poorly shot greenscreen DV footage. Amazing program really. Not sure if you're willing to pay $420 for a license though. Ultra 2 can't be much better if at all and that's $499.

It's also important to watch the lighting on the screen (if you're not already). If you've got a meter, try and see if you're getting even lighting on the whole screen -- the goal being an undetectable variation if any. If the screen's small, kinos should do the trick, but if you can't get those, you'll just have to improvise.

Edited by Eric Androvich

• Premium Member
If you HAVE to go with DV and greenscreen then you'll only have good luck with a professional plugin like Kelight for after effects/shake

Hi folks,

while I agree it's not advisable to shoot green/bluescreen with DV it can be done. You just have to spend more time keying. And you need a good keyer. Try combustion or AFX with Ultimatte. I usually do my keying in the former. Works great. You'll probably have to use color suppression quite a bit!

Aside, has anyone keyed HDV? I assume the pain must be even worse?

Cheers, Dave