running a gy-hd100 for 9 hours

rob spence

hi

I need to video a scene for 9 hours non stop. Whats the best way to power the camera for so long. We'll be miles from any power source and we need silence for the sound recording so no generators can be used.

Also whats the best way to capture footage directly to a hard drive ie can we go straight on a portable hard drive or do we have to use a laptop.

Many thanks

rob spence

Guest will griffith

on site recording for 9 hours or 9 hours of continuous recording?

If it's not continuous get one of these and keep swapping them in the truck...

4 battery charger

or find a cigarette adapter for your camera and run it off the truck.

I would think even for 9 hours the battery would hold up fine.

If not...get a second car battery just in case.

capturing footage directly to a hard drive for that long is a little scary

without stopping occasionally, so I'll assume that's what you will do.

check out linking two of these together. should give you 14 hours.

also don't forget power for them as well.

Focus Recorder

Personally I would just stay within 25 ft (or longest firewire cable) of the truck and record with laptop and big HD

using cigarrette adapter/inverter for both

You can rent a large 12v battery brick from a rental house and then a 12v battery back for the camera. We use Anton Bauer backs on our cameras and then you could put an Anton Bauer to 4-pin XLR adapter plate on it. A large brick should run that camera for nine hours no problem.

Just how do you think you're going to capture 9 hours of continuous material? And why?

thanks Mitch and Will

The 9 hours of continuous film is actually of a static scene with changing lighting effects for an artists project, she will then be subjecting the footage to various editing tricks. Hence the idea of recording straight to a hard drive or laptop.

many thanks for your your help

• Premium Member

This is trick question right?

Does it have the standerd battery or the anton bauer adapter. If the standerd battery run the dummy AC power plate to teh power supply and plug it in the wall, if the anton adapter you can buy a snap on anton power supply.

Thanks Walter

The camera has the standard battery and so I'll look into an anton power pack.

The main problem with running it from the plug in adaptor is that we are nowhere near a power supply.

Has anyone got experience with invertors for car batteries?

Or is there a cigarette socket adaptor made for this camera?

Many thanks

rob spence

Rob:

I would just rent a couple of those Anton Bauer Dionic 160s. Those things have 160-Watt hours of power! So 160Wh/17W would theoretically give you 9.4 hours of recording time if I did the math right. You could also use one of those dual-battery, Anton Bauer Snap-On mounts, or the dual battery, Snap-On mount Anton Bauer belt that has a 4-pin DC out on it. They're hot-swappable, so you could just rent a pile of ProPak14s or whatever, and keep swapping them out.

• 5 weeks later...