Anybody ever shoot home workout shows?

Tim O'Connor

• Premium Member

I have somebody who has her special aerobics class and would like to get it on DVD and

sell it. Not a lot of money upfront so instead of a multi camera bigger shoot I might do it

with my HVX-200 and spend a day for a back-end deal on the DVD sales. The gym owner is

supportive so we have a good location for a day and people to be in the "class".

My guess is that for a DVD which somebody will be watching and working out to at home,

most of the coverage would be of the instructor, so I could perhaps shoot what I calculate

is needed for the class participants and then cut them loose.

Any tips on getting good audio with a moving instructor who would (usually at least) be wearing

a headset/P.A. microphone and competing with loud music? Also, I have some royalty free

music for spots and short pieces but what could be used for a forty-five minute session, or so,

that of course has to start off slowly, get up to so many beats per minute and then wind down?

If you've shot anything like this or have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Any tips on getting good audio with a moving instructor who would (usually at least) be wearing

a headset/P.A. microphone and competing with loud music? Also, I have some royalty free

music for spots and short pieces but what could be used for a forty-five minute session, or so,

that of course has to start off slowly, get up to so many beats per minute and then wind down?

If you've shot anything like this or have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Hi Tim,

I haven't shot the likes, but we were offering such a shoot last year and thought about it quite a bit. I can't seem to remember why we didn't get the contract though.

We were thinking of staging the whole thing as a 3 camera shoot. One WS/MS one ECU/CU and one on a crane. The shoot was supposed to be EXT, on lakeshore and INT, in some kind of gym.

The cameras we thought of using were Betacam SX and IMX. We decided against using smaller units because the lack of genlock capability. The WS camera was supposed to use a 4.5mm IF Canon Wide Zoom Lens, the other ones 6.8 zooms.

For audio we figured we'd give the instructor a headset and wireless transmitter and for backup we'd use a MKH60 on a boom.

We had also done a quite complete lighting plan, but I can't really remember much of it. I might be able to dig it out, should you be interested...

Best regards, Dave

• Premium Member
Hi Tim,

I haven't shot the likes, but we were offering such a shoot last year and thought about it quite a bit. I can't seem to remember why we didn't get the contract though.

We were thinking of staging the whole thing as a 3 camera shoot. One WS/MS one ECU/CU and one on a crane. The shoot was supposed to be EXT, on lakeshore and INT, in some kind of gym.

The cameras we thought of using were Betacam SX and IMX. We decided against using smaller units because the lack of genlock capability. The WS camera was supposed to use a 4.5mm IF Canon Wide Zoom Lens, the other ones 6.8 zooms.

For audio we figured we'd give the instructor a headset and wireless transmitter and for backup we'd use a MKH60 on a boom.

We had also done a quite complete lighting plan, but I can't really remember much of it. I might be able to dig it out, should you be interested...

Best regards, Dave

Thanks, Dave. I won't ask you to dig out the lighting plan since although I'd be inherently

interested it sounds likes it's probably bigger in scope than I'll be able to apply here.

The audio plan helps. If I put a wireless on the instructor she can lead the class and I should be

able to get good audio from her and then get the music in under her.

With one camera I'll have to do some syncing to the music when I cut to the class but since it's

the same music I can use each take's audio as a reference track and although the class won't

likely be at the exact position each take, cutting from the instructor to them should work okay.

It won't be a high-end producton but I should be able to make it look and sound good and this

person believes that she has a special program to offer so maybe that will offset the simplicity

of the production.

Thanks again.