Kinor 16 to Super-16 Conversion Question

Dennis Kisilyov

Could a Kinor 16mm Camera 16CX-2M be converted into Super-16?

(I'm certain almost anything can be converted for millions of dollars).

I mean practically, in a easy way, mod the gate, mod the mag, mod the VF, recenter lens mount?

Or is it easier to convert an Eclair or CP?

Thanks in advance.

Incidentally if anybody has one, how LOUD are they, they're not MOS as I understand.

I mean practically, in a easy way, mod the gate, mod the mag, mod the VF, recenter lens mount?

Thanks in advance.

Incidentally if anybody has one, how LOUD are they, they're not MOS as I understand.

Hi, there was a thread from Konvas.org which rafael from rafcamera.com was offering a full s16 conversion with a pl mount for ~800$. Olexandr also does the conversion. I think the kinor would be the easiest as the camera itself is quite tough and resist machining (maybe i am wrong) but I doubt that you would get a cheaper option w other cameras. I measured mine w a sound level meter and it was 41db (with a loaded 120m mag).

Cool. Thanks Kindly for the Info!

I had mine converted back in 2002. Here is a link to a film I did with it and some pictures of the converted camera: http://www.commiecam.com/fiend.html

Anatoly Taldykin at Slow Motion Inc did the conversion. Super 16mm, PL mount, 8-50fps crystal motor with digital counter, grey paint job. My only beef with those cameras is that they're, IMHO, MOS cameras. Yeah, it's only 41-45db, but when you're shooting in a interior room with a wood floor, and solid walls, your sound guys are going to get fed up real quick! Otherwise, great camera, especially for handheld shots. Just my two cents.

My only beef with those cameras is that they're, IMHO, MOS cameras. Yeah, it's only 41-45db, but when you're shooting in a interior room with a wood floor, and solid walls, your sound guys are going to get fed up real quick!

Do you think a sound barney would minimize that problem or bring the noise down to an acceptable level for a situation like the one you mentioned ?

http://customupholsteryproducts.com/html/sound_barneys.html

Do you think a sound barney would minimize that problem or bring the noise down to an acceptable level for a situation like the one you mentioned ?

http://customupholsteryproducts.com/html/sound_barneys.html

Funny you should ask, I had them make me one, and it really only reduced the sound by like 3db. So yes...and no. It really all depends on what environment you're shooting in. Don't get me wrong, it's a great little camera, but be prepared for a few shortcomings.

Thanks in advance.

Kinor-16 SX-2M camera can be convert on Arri Pl lens mount and can have a modified electrical motor with crystal sync speed.

I can propose version with speed synthesizer and programmable speed control. ( like of special function of motor control of Arri studio. )

About Kinor and noise.

The first step - service of camera.

The second step - additional sound protection inside of body.

The next step - Sound barney.

The one user of Kinor-16 to design and will make Sound barney for Kinor 16CX-2M.

If the anybody interesting of Sound barney too, can ask me.

Aha! -

So a Super-16 gate would go along with a PL-Mount conversion since all the 16OPF lenses would only cover Regular 16 format. Did Lomo/KMZ/Ekran ever make Super-16 lenses in the 16OPF mount?

The Magazines need modification as well?

Thanks!

I support of idea, If you wish use of Super 16 film format, you need use of Super 16 lenses too.

You can use of Elite Optics, Optar Illumina, Carl Zeiss, Cooke Super 16 lenses.

16 OPF-12-1 zoom lens will cover of Super 16 film gate from position of zoom lens 32..35 mm

The all other prime lenses, starting with 35 mm will cover Super 16 film gate too.

Any case, Need make test.

The lenses from 35 mm cine cameras, LOMO, Ekran, will cover of Super 16.

You can have a some problem with super wide angle lenses only and will need use of Super 16 Super wide angle lenses .

About magazine, need modify of pressure plate of film magazines, film rolles and other parts, but, you can use original version of magazines too. I hope the rem-jet layer will protect of film from scratches.