Arri 16-S mirror shutter length/diameter

Robert Lucas

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and have learned a lot so far. I have a quick question. What is the lenght/diameter of the mirror shutter used in the Arriflex 16-S? I am doing some tests right now, ultimately I am looking for a way to modify my shutter so that I can test out various shutter angles. Thanks, I would really appreciate any help.

Robert

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and have learned a lot so far. I have a quick question. What is the lenght/diameter of the mirror shutter used in the Arriflex 16-S? I am doing some tests right now, ultimately I am looking for a way to modify my shutter so that I can test out various shutter angles. Thanks, I would really appreciate any help.

Robert

Do you have an Arriflex 16s? Look at it....it's made out of glass.

Do you have an Arriflex 16s? Look at it....it's made out of glass.

Yes I have an Arri 16-S. But there is no way for me to tell how long the mirror shutter is. I have a feasable way to modify it, but cannot measure it. Unless I took the front turret off, but don't know how to do that.

• Premium Member
Yes I have an Arri 16-S. But there is no way for me to tell how long the mirror shutter is. I have a feasable way to modify it, but cannot measure it. Unless I took the front turret off, but don't know how to do that.

The shutter is a round disc made of very precise glass that is silvered to create the mirror. I am not sure what you mean by "how long" it is. Are you asking what the diameter is?

Be aware also that to remove the mirror to modify it will require disassembly of the camera, which is not something I would recommend unless you have the proper tools and training.

-Tim

The shutter is a round disc made of very precise glass that is silvered to create the mirror. I am not sure what you mean by "how long" it is. Are you asking what the diameter is?

Be aware also that to remove the mirror to modify it will require disassembly of the camera, which is not something I would recommend unless you have the proper tools and training.

-Tim

Yes Tim I know what a mirror shutter is. I am asking what the diameter of the mirror shutter is as stated in the title of this topic.

• Premium Member
Yes Tim I know what a mirror shutter is. I am asking what the diameter of the mirror shutter is as stated in the title of this topic.

When someone asks "how long" something is, when that something is actually a disc, (as in "a diameter"), then I naturally figure that person doesn't have a real clear idea of what they are talking about. If you know what shape the shutter is on an Arriflex 16S camera, why are you asking for its length?

The diameter of the mirror shutter, at its outer most edge (the edge is beveled, but I'm sure you "know" that as well), is 75.23mm.

-Tim

When someone asks "how long" something is, when that something is actually a disc, (as in "a diameter"), then I naturally figure that person doesn't have a real clear idea of what they are talking about. If you know what shape the shutter is on an Arriflex 16S camera, why are you asking for its length?

The diameter of the mirror shutter, at its outer most edge (the edge is beveled, but I'm sure you "know" that as well), is 75.23mm.

-Tim

If you still haven't checked the title of this topic, the word "diameter" is part of it. Although, "length" is as well, I didn't mean to confuse anyone.

The edge is beveled? What's a bevel? And while you're at it can you tell me what a disc is? lol

I have better things to do than splitting hairs. But seriously, thanks for the info.

If you still haven't checked the title of this topic, the word "diameter" is part of it. Although, "length" is as well, I didn't mean to confuse anyone.

The edge is beveled? What's a bevel? And while you're at it can you tell me what a disc is? lol

I have better things to do than splitting hairs. But seriously, thanks for the info.

Hi, the shutter diameter in a camera is fixed because its principal job is block the light in a film when it´s transported, if you reduce its diameter the light can introduce in the film with disastrous results.

shutters only can change in degree, Arri S is fixed at 180º.

• Premium Member

Robert,

Most people on this forum are too politic to point these things out and I don't know if you're aware, because I am assuming you don't intend to come off this way, but you comments sound ungrateful, coarse and impatient for replies to your badly worded and ambiguous question. Especially to those with any training in camera repair or even geometry for that matter.

videlicit: "I have better things to do than splitting hairs. "

Tim is a fully trained technician and probably the only guy in the US I would trust an ARRI S with (it's his specialty).

Chuck is one of those old school techs that could probably strip down and reassembly anything that is put in front of him.

Did you know, when you posted to this forum, that you're question would be viewed addressed by such professionals?

Based on your apparent impatience and lack of understanding of some simple technical concepts I'm not too confident that you'll find a way to modify your ARRI S without breaking it. Shaving down the circumference edge of the shutter will produce a light leak. Shaving down the blade edges and reducing the angle from 180 degrees could very well cause shutter/claw timing issues and cause streaking/pulsing if done to an extent that will cause any noticeable change in motion blur/exposure.

That said, I'll assume the best of you and think that you meant my friends here on this forum no disrespect.

Have a lovely day and good luck modifying your camera.:)

- nathan