Is this true Kodak?

• Premium Member
The market sence for electronic distribution only works for manufacturers and distributors, not for theatres. At the theatrical level, there's little incentive to switch. Why shell out $100,000 for a new digital when you can continue running the same projector you've had since the 1970's instead, and have the distributors paying for the prints?

If I was a theatre owner, digital projection would not even be an option. You're talking over 2 million dollars for the local megaplex, and that's 2 million every 3 years as that is the average lifespan of these DLP systems. Compared to a 35mm projector built in 1974..... which needs less than $7,000 a year to operate?

I recall reading that digital inroads would be made by providing the digital projection equipment for free but in exchange the theatre owner would have to play several movies from a specific distributor, those "films" would include a few blockbusters and several middlin projects that might have a more difficult time getting into theatres otherwise.

I think it's kind of silly to make over the projection room but not the rest of the facility. Eventually, digital projection could mean one screening a day of several different productions, some live shows mixed in as well. The theatre would have to have a different physical make-up than the present movie theatre. Retractable seats so the theatre could be instantly turned into a dance floor for when live rock concerts from half way around the world were being shown, etc...

Digital projection should mean a injection of live programing along with actual movies, and it probably makes more sense to build those theatres from the ground up.

• Premium Member
Digital projection should mean a injection of live programing along with actual movies, and it probably makes more sense to build those theatres from the ground up.

The local Ciniplex Odeon Star City megaplex has started doing things liek Hockey Games and Opera, using their Video Projection systems. I persoanly wonder why anyone would come out to watch TV, even on a big screen. But then again I have started to Morph into a crumugion

• Premium Member
You detest a whole format!?

Intensely.

I know some DPs who will insist that their tests for features are screened in the big theatres in London -

Name names...... LOL

• Premium Member
The local Ciniplex Odeon Star City megaplex has started doing things liek Hockey Games and Opera, using their Video Projection systems. I personally wonder why anyone would come out to watch, even on a big TV screen. But then again I have started to Morph into a curmudgeon

Reality TV may be influencing peoples' viewing habits. Seeing a "live" event projected on a big screen may become as popular as going to see an actual movie. That's why it may be silly to focus so much attention on the type of projection being used and not enough energy on the actual viewing environment.

Live events tend to create a different energy from a large crowd than seeing a movie, so I don't think changing the projector is enough. In that regards, we could see the day where the film projectors and film theatres are just left alone an and entirely new digital theatres open up. Something for everyone, even the curmudgeon. :D