Free Film?

J. Søren Viuf

Hey all,

I was wondering what "tricks" other independent productions have used to wrangle free stock out of Kodak and/or Fujifilm? I know sometimes they provide film equipment to "promising" productions, or large-order productions, but has anybody ever done a multi-picture deal with them?

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

J. Soren Viuf

Getting enough film to shoot a feature from Kodak or Fuji is not possible. Certainly no unknown "indie" guy has ever done that. They do hand out film "awards" to students and first timers, but that is different.

Getting a real reduced rate from Fuji is possible on a large order though, Kodak not so much, in my experience.

If you want free film for a short, that's easy. Call up all the reps and ask for 1-2 rolls of "test film". Have every office you can find send you 1-2 rolls and you'll have enough to shoot a short for free. Mix Kodak and Fuji to double your odds.

Asking them for 75K feet for free....not gonna happen. Unless it's a fluke and/or you know some one.

R,

• Premium Member
What do you say to them when you call?

Hi,

Call Kodak, I usually shoot with Fuji (or HD) I would like a test roll of the following films:-

Call Fuji, I have never shot with the new Eterna stocks........

A few months later, have you got any short dated stock, damaged cans etc....

Stephen

I just did a shoot where I ordered 4 rolls of Fuji film and I asked for "test rolls" and the first guy told me that they "don't do that anymore" so I gave my bummed out speech and he put me on the line with another rep. This new guy was originally going to offer me one 400' roll of "test film" and then I asked if I could split that into four 100' rolls for which he said yes and I got some 64, 125, 250 and 500 speeds. Fuji 100' cans are small and funny looking cause they're miniature Fuji rounded boxes. The film of course comes on daylight spools but worked perfectly for the inserts. This may be a student thing as all of this was done with student prices.

Oh the other "trick" is to say you are shooting a PSA for some "cause".

Try the environment or a dogs shelter, that will get them every time. Tell them you have no money and could they donate film for the "cause." If the rep is a woman say it's a shelter for cats, women are suckers for helping cats. If the rep is a man say your PSA is to help strippers get breast enlargements and watch the free film roll in.

I leave it to each individual to decide the ethical merits of such a ploy :)

[On a side note, this method is a good example of how so called charities have done a good job at guilting us into opening our wallets for them.]

Ok in all seriousness, if you really are shooting a PSA, tell Kodak or Fuji that and they usually help.

R,

PS: Failing all of the above, e-mail John P Pytlak at Kodak 10 times a day bugging him for free film.