film stills

tom quinn

Hi folks,

I just wrapped shooting a short film for a friend of mine. While very nervous because I had not shot film in over a year, I am pretty happy with the results (thanks to a great colorist at Shooters who really saved me).

Any feedback would be great. They do not seem to be stretched to the correct ratio (anamorphic transfer) and could be off color-wise on a pc. I'll post more when I can get them.

We shot on 7218 on an XTR-Prod.

Take care,

Tom

http://www.stationhousefilms.net/trains/RTB_Stills.html

thats what we did one time. we used a balloon and then took wrenolds wrap

and made a couple real smooth wraps around the back and belly to flatten it

a bit.....just be sure not to show any wrap folds or anything....has to be smooth.

:)

looks great

Very nice stills. Everything is so natural looking - the lighting and the skintones. Thoughtful compositions too. I like the slightly 'darker' look of some of the shots - very atmospheric.

By the way, these are impressive looking stills for 16mm. To me, they look more like 35mm.

Thanks! I wish it had been 35mm. I don't have a heck of a lot of film experience, so I was glad that they turned out at all. The film has some nightmare sequences, which let us play with the atmosphere a bit. I am hoping to get some more stills this week.

Thanks again.

tom

Thanks for the kinds words. I had been worried that the symmetry was too much, but for the film it seemed right. I'm still adjusting to larger lighting units (still small by most film standards) and am struggling to keep things looking natural and not overlit. I was happier with some more than others (of course I mostly posted the "Some" :) It'll come with experience I suppose!

take care,

tom

www.stationhousefilms.net

Very nice. I like the composition and framing of the shots. I'll have to check out the whole thing, especially the hospital scenes. B)

Hey Justin,

We've been running the same circles these days....

: )

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys!

I will post something in the general thread, but just wanted to let you know the film we discussed in this thread, "Derailed" won the Kodak Eastman Scholars Gold prize - 5k in cash and 5k in film stock! I'm very excited for the director and am really happy to have been involved. In addition, a second film I shot, "Diorama," won the bronze prize! Again, a really great director and I feel fortunate (and pretty darn excited) to have been involved in both. You can see some (rather dark due to final cut pro gamma) stills from that film here: dioramamovie.com

I just wanted to say thanks for all of your help as I prepped the project. This is a really great site for those of us starting out!!

Take care!

tom