ArriSR-I German vs Super16 NPR Tobin PL

Charlie Iturriaga

I love shooting 16, I work in the industry and I like to shoot in my free time with my own equipment.

I started with a bolex H5, then I switched to a Canon Scoopic, now I am switching to what I consider the next.

I have a good deal, same price, both running great.

Shoot super 16 it sounds very sexy to me, also PL mount to play with different (rental) lenses. Also, the NPR is very clean and good looking, Tobin sync sound with milliframe. I have a couple of c-mount lenses and Nikon lenses, so when I don't want to rent, I can use my own (crappy) optics. The NPR includes an ange zoom c-mount (nothing interesting there)

On the other hand, the SRI is not super 16, but, I know is a more reliable machine (is that true??) also I know it has more accesories (Which I can match in the NPR I found) and can be converted to super 16 with a great amount of money, but also with a better resell value for my next stage (that would be a 35mm in a couple of years). It includes one zoom, also an ange 12-120, 2 mags, plain pakage.

I love the idea of learn about the shutter change, and also the ability to use a lot more lenses... What would you decide for the same price???

Let me know Gurus of the 16!!!!

Thanks a lot!

Hey Charlie como estas?

te lo voy aresponder en ingles asi estos manes nos entienden!

I'm to on the market for a Super 16.... to

what it's seems is that you saw 2 offers that I consider before

The NPR was my first choice ( variable shutter) but later I learn that the shutter was pretty temperamental, the other one, The Sr 1 If it's the same one, the previous owner before the seller was Tim Carroll, and Tim knows his poop around teh cam, he took care ov it.... and then sold it to a guy that just played around with it and he just tougt the investment wasn't going to pay back so I bet he's selling it for taht reason....

I'm myself on the market for an Aaton LTR Super 16..... if you can find a good one you'll be great....

Anyhow

Mucha suerte

• Premium Member
the other one, The Sr 1 If it's the same one, the previous owner before the seller was Tim Carroll, and Tim knows his poop around teh cam, he took care ov it.... and then sold it to a guy that just played around with it and he just tougt the investment wasn't going to pay back so I bet he's selling it for taht reason....

I need to clarify something here. There is an individual who is using my name in his listing for a camera package that I sold to him in the past. I can in no way vouch for the condition that camera is in at this time. I talked with the new owner of the camera and I am very upset that he is using my name in trying to sell it. Again, I repeat, I cannot in any way shape or form, vouch for the Arriflex 16SR camera package that an individual on this forum is selling and using my name in the listing. It is no longer my camera package and I have no way of knowing what has happened to it or been done with it since it left my possession.

I do know he is not selling the original package I sold him. He has removed certain items, including the ARRI extension eyepiece and the CinematographyElectronics speed control that was in the original package, to use with his new Super 16 camera package he just bought.

-Tim

Sorry Tim.... I didn't meant that you vouch for the guy,

I was pointing out that your where the previous owner and if the guy truly didn't use the camera ( as he mentions in his post) then the camera should be in the condition that you sold it for, BUt that's just assuming that the guy didn't screw up in any way.... which If I was going to buy that camera or any, I will tell the guy to send it to a serviced tech and get an estimate of how much it will be to serviced that cam... if everything is good then it shouldn't be a problem...

I need to clarify something here. There is an individual who is using my name in his listing for a camera package that I sold to him in the past. I can in no way vouch for the condition that camera is in at this time. I talked with the new owner of the camera and I am very upset that he is using my name in trying to sell it. Again, I repeat, I cannot in any way shape or form, vouch for the Arriflex 16SR camera package that an individual on this forum is selling and using my name in the listing. It is no longer my camera package and I have no way of knowing what has happened to it or been done with it since it left my possession.

I do know he is not selling the original package I sold him. He has removed certain items, including the ARRI extension eyepiece and the CinematographyElectronics speed control that was in the original package, to use with his new Super 16 camera package he just bought.

-Tim

Sorry Tim.... I didn't meant that you vouch for the guy,

I was pointing out that your where the previous owner and if the guy truly didn't use the camera ( as he mentions in his post) then the camera should be in the condition that you sold it for, BUt that's just assuming that the guy didn't screw up in any way.... which If I was going to buy that camera or any, I will tell the guy to send it to a serviced tech and get an estimate of how much it will be to serviced that cam... if everything is good then it shouldn't be a problem...

No, It doesent have an extension or an special motor (the SR). So I don'd think is the same camera. Anyway guys, thanks for the answers! but instead of figure out which camera it is, what would be the best choice from the two cameras, both are running great (tested) So I don't know what to do.

I don't think one of the cameras is the one that is outside, cause I am making the deal with this person directly.

Thanks a lot again!

Charlie

• Premium Member
No, It doesent have an extension or an special motor (the SR). So I don'd think is the same camera. Anyway guys, thanks for the answers! but instead of figure out which camera it is, what would be the best choice from the two cameras, both are running great (tested) So I don't know what to do.

I don't think one of the cameras is the one that is outside, cause I am making the deal with this person directly.

Thanks a lot again!

Charlie

I see the individual has taken my name off of the listing, which I appreciate.

If you are looking for a camera for personal projects, and to play around with, and you really like the adjustable shutter, and the NPR you are looking at is in good shape mechanically and optically, then it may be a good deal.

If on the other hand you are looking for a professional production camera that you want to use to do paying jobs for others and build a business with as a cinematographer or a camera rental business, then an Arriflex 16SR is the way to go.

-Tim

Thanks a lot Tim. I totally agree and feel better with my desition. I am not interested in being a rental house, or to shoot something extremlly professional. Just get more used to film cameras and the process behind it (as I am VFX Sup)... also, I normally do experiments with my cameras.

I think I am going to get the S16 NPR.

CI

I see the individual has taken my name off of the listing, which I appreciate.

If you are looking for a camera for personal projects, and to play around with, and you really like the adjustable shutter, and the NPR you are looking at is in good shape mechanically and optically, then it may be a good deal.

If on the other hand you are looking for a professional production camera that you want to use to do paying jobs for others and build a business with as a cinematographer or a camera rental business, then an Arriflex 16SR is the way to go.

-Tim