FLARES!

Hi everyone, I wish I could post a picture but for some reason I can't... I have seen this video lately, actually Adam Gregory?s latest video - "One Breath", I can't find it online though... The flares in the video are gorgeous. It looks like anamorphic but knowing that the budget ofthevideo wassmall it probably was not... The flares were long lines going across the frame... they came from the practicals in the shots... I have never seen a practical flaring that much or like that... I have never tried a streaking filter but I understand that this is what they do... Though every shot I have seen with a streaking filter was shot in dv or hd and looked bad, the flares had these chromatic aberrations on the edges and the lines were too perfect...

The lines from the flares in that video were really nice... Is there a trick, something else, not a streaking filter that could produce something like what I am describing? Maybe vaseline on a glass filter right where the lamp is in the frame and spreading across horizontally in a line pattern way?

I also have heard something from a french cinematographer, they use large glass plates in front of the lens, about a foot from it, and flash it with either a flashlite, or a kino tube while holding it at the proper angle.... Anyone tried this and could show us examples?

I also want to make images that flare but were not sources can been seen, flares coming from the edges... Has anyone tried flaring the lens with a lamp just out of frame? I tried it with ultraprimes using a joker bug and it did not work... Any advice????

Thanks a lot!!!

Christophe

• Premium Member

Without an example to show us, it's hard to say. Obviously anamorphic lenses can make some beautiful flares. I was just rewatching "Alien" again on DVD and they got these great rainbows to arc out around a bright light.

Nets on the lens can also create smears and streaks.

You can also make a simple scratch filter out of clear plastic with some abrasions in one direction, more organic than a two-point star filter. If you've ever looked through some scratched plexiglass, you know what I'm talking about.

There is also the trick of turning the camera sideways and creating an out-of-sync shutter streak that goes to one side now rather than straight up.

• Premium Member

300mm T2.8 Canon (greatest lens ever? - now there's a subject for a thread!!) gives great rainbow flares

'Anamorphic' blue horizontal flares are SO easy to apply in post now that I've given up trying to create them in camera. They're a bit old hat now........

Vantage in Germany made some filters for this very purpose. I tested them a couple of years ago but wasn't over impressed. Clever though....

• Premium Member

I find real anamorphic flares impossible to create either in post or by filter. If you look closely, the flare is not just blue, but other colors like violet and pink are mixed in there as well. Plus when the camera moves the flare changes as well.

• Premium Member
I find real anamorphic flares impossible to create either in post or by filter. If you look closely, the flare is not just blue, but other colors like violet and pink are mixed in there as well. Plus when the camera moves the flare changes as well.

PM me for Post Recommendations.

• Premium Member

I recently did a spot for some dance act where we wanted to add some semblance of anamorphic flares in camera on 16mm. So I got some 2-star, streaky filters out from the rental house and stuck it in on a backlit sequence. In TK the day after it looked surprisingly good, I must say. Nothing like anamorphic flares (since I had so many sources in frame), but kind of funky. I'll post some stills whenever I get the film.

Hi guys, thanks for the answers, I tried searching for that video again but since this singer is so, so bad, I think it must have been removed from all the websites in the world by all the webmasters out there!! But I found a photo from the video, showing the flare actually, it can be found there:

Ihttp://www.chantalenadeau.com/2007/news0207.htm

Scroll down and you'll find it,

Interested to hear what you guys think this is!

And I'd love to know more about that old trick you talked about David, that out of synch thing...

Thanks!

Christophe

Is the filter thats creates this kind of flare called the 2 point star filter? And does the light always flare horizontally. The examples photos showed previously on this thread was really very nice. I want to experiment with this filter now. Thanks for posting this up.

cheers

Ken Minehan

• Premium Member
Is the filter thats creates this kind of flare called the 2 point star filter? And does the light always flare horizontally. The examples photos showed previously on this thread was really very nice. I want to experiment with this filter now. Thanks for posting this up.

cheers

Ken Minehan

Ask for a two pojnt star filter and thats what you'll get. The 'streak' will be orientated whichever way you want by rotating it in the matte box

The filter I saw in Vantage is similar but gives a blue streak.

• Premium Member
Is the filter thats creates this kind of flare called the 2 point star filter? And does the light always flare horizontally.

Tiffen calls theirs a Streak filter, and you can orient it any way you like.

Vantage in Germany made some filters for this very purpose. I tested them a couple of years ago but wasn't over impressed. Clever though....

Could you post a link to a source for the "Vantage" filters, please?