wii spec ad

Just wrapped on the first day of shooting a wii spec ad. We had a 20'x20' ring to light. I hung (4) 6k Space lights with a silk base mounted half way up the black skirts...we left them on the whole time about 8 feet above the heads of the boxers. I used (3) Source Four 750w's for the three corner backlights....thats about it...we used some showcard for fill and eyelights, etc.

I shot on 5279 with an old Mitchell Mark II camera. The hand-held set up was created by a grip team that works at the studio...they were kind enough to let us use it. It worked great but that old beast weighed close to 85 lbs. when it was all dressed up. We used a set of Canon primes...I shot most of it on a 35mm and 55mm...some at 45 degree shutter and two shots at 120FPS

Fun shoot, lots of good stuff.

check out the pics...

http://www.colewebley.blogspot.com/

• Premium Member

Looks great, Cole! Looks like you smoked the set as well. Any trouble maintaining the smoke level in that big space?

I don't know anything about those Canon primes -- can you elaborate on them (vintage, max. f-stop, minimum focus, sharpness, breathing, etc.)?

Also, why did you use such a heavy camera for handheld work? (I'm guessing it was free). Now I feel like such a wuss for complaining about handholding an unbalanced Arri SR2 -- got to start hitting those weights!

Very cute kid as well. Just wait 'til she hits the "terrible twos" -- then you'll be in for it. :lol:

Sorry it took so long to get back to your post!!! I have been really busy lately!

Satsuki, thanks for the comments and question. Sorry I don't have more specifics on the lenses. I can't recall what type of Canon Primes they are (I should know but I've forgotten...we used our film schools stuff...BYU). They were pretty fast mostly either a T 1.4 or a T 2...the smoke wasn't to hard to contain within the space...we would smoke it up right before we shot in the corner we wanted it at and then let it settle a bit before we shot.

And, yes...the camera was free that's why we used it.

Matthew, also, appreciate the comment and question...now you know why we used such an old camera:)

The director has a rough cut, hopefully I can post it soon.

Good news, I just got a Panavision grant to shoot another thesis film...I guess we are getting the Gold Platinum, that will be nice!

• Premium Member
...I guess we are getting the Gold Platinum, that will be nice!

That'll be a first! There's the Panaflex Gold and the Panaflex Platinum -- they're two different models. The Platinum is newer. :) Congratulations on the gig, sounds awesome.

hi Cole, let me just say the set looks great. According to the photos you had a pretty small crew? Also, You said at times you were shooting 120fps and at 45 degrees. Did you have enough light? What f stop were you working on?

That cam looks damn heavy man. Was recently helping a DP friend the other day. he needed an assistant, so i thought sure i'll help you. The he turned up with the varicam, 10x10 lens, and on board monitor. I thought that was heavy, but nothing like yours.

would love to see what you shot.

Oh i just realised you shot on 500t. Should be enough light.

regards

Ken Minehan

Satsuki,

Your right, sorry I meant the Gold II!! Anyways, it'll be fun.

Ken, yeah, we had enough light...we were getting an 8/11 at the center of the ring when we were shooting at 170 degrees and at 24 FPS...so, by the time we compensated for the shutter angle and the high frame rate, we were still doing ok.

We did telecine last week and the director has done a rough cut of the boxing footage...we have yet to shoot the rest of the spot...that happens next wednesday. I'll try and get a cut to put it on the web. I'll let you know!