KOdak Vision 800T

Guest Ole Dost

Guest Ole Dost

What is your opinion/experience with the KOdak Vision 800T? Would you recommend using it in low light conditions? What about the grain and colour? I wonder why this speed is discontinued in the new Vision2-line...

Thanks for your answers!

Ole

• Premium Member

Extremely grainy stock in comparison to even 500T. Colors kind of bland. That may have something to do with use in low light which is how I used it since if I had decent lighting I would have used 500T or 200T. The colorist I worked with said 800T was an "ugly" stock and was glad it was discontinued.

Plus if you find it now it will be old and proper storage is more important with higher speed stocks.

The 800T was not a very good stock at all especially in 16mm. 500T pushed a stop is less grainy.

It was discontinued quite awhile ago and I would be extremely wary of using it now.

The more sensitive the stock, the more sensitive it is to storage conditions.

• Premium Member

I shot a commercial with 800T at a stadium sports event in 2002. I tested Kodak's Vision 250D, 500T and 800T. The 250 and 500 stocks looked great, but, to be honest, the 800T was perfect for the spot. The 250D and 500T were too fine-grained for the creative director and the client! 800T had a very distinctive look that was very gritty.

I can understand how 800T could be considered an ugly film, but even ugly has its place in the toolbox.

-Fran