Kodak Vision 800T

Guest Ole Dost

Guest Ole Dost

What is your opinion/experience with the KOdak Vision 800T? Would you recommend using it in low light conditions? What about the grain and colour? I wonder why this speed is discontinued in the new Vision2-line...

Thanks for your answers!

Ole

• Premium Member

Since it has been discontinued for a few years now, I wouldn't recommend it -- fast films are more susceptible to aging, fogging due to cosmic rays, etc.

800T was somewhat saturated, contrasty, and grainy. When the Vision-2 500T stock came out ('18), people found that they got better results just pushing it by one stop than by using 800T. Pushed 500T was still finer-grained than 800T, the contrast was now similar since normal 500T is lower in contrast to begin with. You still don't get the saturation of 800T though.

Guest Ole Dost
Since it has been discontinued for a few years now, I wouldn't recommend it -- fast films are more susceptible to aging, fogging due to cosmic rays, etc.

800T was somewhat saturated, contrasty, and grainy. When the Vision-2 500T stock came out ('18), people found that they got better results just pushing it by one stop than by using 800T. Pushed 500T was still finer-grained than 800T, the contrast was now similar since normal 500T is lower in contrast to begin with. You still don't get the saturation of 800T though.

Thank you for the detailled answer!

• Premium Member
Thank you for the detailled answer!

I agree with Mr. Mullen's response. Any 800T you find on the short-end market today will probably have some age degradation --- increased fog level and graininess, and it had a fairly high level of graininess to begin with. The Kodak VISION2 500T Color Negative Film will yield superior image structure, even if push processed:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products....4.16&lc=en

With proprietary new technology for superior image structure; more highlight and shadow detail; improved color and skintone reproduction; clean telecine transfers; and seamless special effects. KODAK VISION2 Film products offer the lowest grain available for clean, crisp images; improved neutral tone scale; and more flexibility in both film and digital postproduction.

• Premium Member
Dear John, how are you feeling? Stay positive!!!

Still on a mostly liquid diet, and able to tolerate only a limited amount of "low bulk" solid foods like soft boiled egg or well chewed sausage. My new chemo on March 5 "knocked me for a loop" with severe fatigue and nausea. But am much better now, even getting out the house by driving to shopping etc. Next round of chemo is Tuesday, April 3, and I expect to feel sick for a few weeks after. But it is the only medical hope of shrinking the tumors that are causing a partial blockage of my small intestine. Cancer is a bummer! But life goes on.

i have shot a bunch of it on 35mm, and a little on 16mm. its grainy, contrasty - looks somewhat similar to 5279 pushed a stop. i don't really miss it - you can pretty much rate 5218 at 1000 asa and push a stop and get much better results than either of the vision emulsions, i think.

i used it for a Fishbone video on 35mm a year or two ago and the client was pleased, although i spent a good deal of time in the transfer trying to bring the blacks down to get rid of grain and noise rumbling around in there...

Guest Ole Dost
i have shot a bunch of it on 35mm, and a little on 16mm. its grainy, contrasty - looks somewhat similar to 5279 pushed a stop. i don't really miss it - you can pretty much rate 5218 at 1000 asa and push a stop and get much better results than either of the vision emulsions, i think.

i used it for a Fishbone video on 35mm a year or two ago and the client was pleased, although i spent a good deal of time in the transfer trying to bring the blacks down to get rid of grain and noise rumbling around in there...

Thanks for all of your replies! All this makes me feel that it is not a great loss for the filming world to live without the 800T now... and I won´t try to use it.

So what about the 500 stocks? Fuji Eterna and Kodak Vision2 500T? Much better than the 800T regarding colour and grain?