New 'Showreel'

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hi,

I've just uploaded a new (still roughcut) montage for the 'Showreel' section of my site. What do you think?

Thanks!

Hi, Morgan. There's an awful lot of good work in your reel but it really bothers me (and looks very unprofessional) that the frame size keeps changing. Some things are only letterboxed and some things are set inside a whole frame of black.

• Premium Member
Thanks!

I'm going to blow up some of the shots so that they are not so obviously different aspect ratios. I've actually cut it down even more to 1 and a half minutes now but I haven't uploaded it yet.

I just saw it this second, other than a few slight differences in frames, nothing in the way of aspect ratio jumped out at me as being wrong or annoying. You really have a tremendous actors type of DP reel and that is the best kind of reel to have in my opinion. Every shot was telling a story and I could feel the actor was in the center of it. The shot with the kid indoors standing on a heater looking out the window was classic, as if it should be a famous painting, I loved everything about that shot, the color, the spacing, the framing, wow.

The only criticism I have is with your black and white shots. Many of the black and white shots seemed greyed out, in many instances they just look so much poorer as compared to your color imagery. Usually it's more difficult to get good color on the internet but black and white can look good, you seem to have done the more difficult part really well yet let the theoretically easier part get you.

Excellent editing design as well.

And there were no internet caused dropped frames, what's your secret?

I just saw it this second, other than a few slight differences in frames, nothing in the way of aspect ratio jumped out at me as being wrong or annoying. You really have a tremendous actors type of DP reel and that is the best kind of reel to have in my opinion. Every shot was telling a story and I could feel the actor was in the center of it. The shot with the kid indoors standing on a heater looking out the window was classic, as if it should be a famous painting, I loved everything about that shot, the color, the spacing, the framing, wow.

Gee Thanks...I've actually gotten rid of it now as my tutor thought I needed a shorter

reel. He thought it wasn't one my best!

The only criticism I have is with your black and white shots. Many of the black and white shots seemed greyed out, in many instances they just look so much poorer as compared to your color imagery. Usually it's more difficult to get good color on the internet but black and white can look good, you seem to have done the more difficult part really well yet let the theoretically easier part get you.

I think I actually have to crunch the blacks a bit. If I remember rightly those films were always like that off the one light BetaSP transfers that we dfid years ago.

And there were no internet caused dropped frames, what's your secret?

No idea!

I'm going to upload the new snappier shorter version tonight.

Thanks!

• Premium Member
Gee Thanks...I've actually gotten rid of it now as my tutor thought I needed a shorter

reel. He thought it wasn't one my best!

You got rid of the kid on the heater looking out the window??? I'm pretty sure that that

shot is the kind of shot that people who might hire you will react to. The shot, as I recall,

was kind of lit flat, but who cares, it was everything about that shot that made it work.

I think I actually have to crunch the blacks a bit. If I remember rightly those films were always like that off the one light BetaSP transfers that we did years ago.

No idea!

If you have the betacam sp masters it's pretty easy to drop the set-up level on the proc amp and bring it into line, although one of the shots was pretty much off the charts and might need more than the internal

proc amp can do.

I'm going to upload the new snappier shorter version tonight.

Thanks!

I hope your tutor isn't competing against you for work, hahahaha.

Guest James Westbrook

It takes too long to download!!! I got bored half way through! With quicktimes h.264 you would get half the file size and still keep the quality.

Best shots were the girl on the bumper car, the focus pull from the dog to the girl - really great shots! I would dump all the b and w stuff - it looks awful!

Still jealous you made it to the NFTS lol!

It takes too long to download!!! I got bored half way through! With quicktimes h.264 you would get half the file size and still keep the quality.

Best shots were the girl on the bumper car, the focus pull from the dog to the girl - really great shots! I would dump all the b and w stuff - it looks awful!

Still jealous you made it to the NFTS lol!

I've actually crunched the blacks now on the black and white stuff and it looks alot bettre. Though I havent' made a new Quicktime version to upload yet. The B&W stuff doesn't seem to be impressing anybody...though I quite like them! The shot with teh Nymphs is meant to look overexposed and whited out/

I do actually use H264 but I haven't found the right settings to do quick download. I usually use 'Current' for fps which should be set 25fps on most of teh films. And I use 'Good' quality. And the leave the bit (?) 'Rate' at 'Automatic'. Any suggetsions on what settings I should is use to get get a quicker download but still at good visual quality?

Thanks!

Sorry you didn't get into the NFTS!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Still there. If you to my site and then click on the top left image of the girl in orange with 'Showreel' in it it should load - it's a bit slow though. I have changed it again (gotten rid of a shot and crunched the blacks in the B&W stuff) and so once I have some time I will re-compress it and upload it again, next week hopefully.