Lens technician in Britain or Europe?

Adam Frisch FSF

• Premium Member

I've just bought a set of anamorphic lenses from an old friend who used to import them from Russia. The lenses are in PL mount and have proper 0.8 modul gearing for Arri-type follow focusing.

I've shot quite a bit with these late generation Lomo lenses (the basis for the Hawk's) and they're very good. And although I said I'd never own any gear anymore, these came at a good price, so I couldn't refuse. Besides, it's always ends up being such a palaver budget-wise whenever anamorphic is on the table, so I thought I could tip the scales to my advantage on those jobs by having my own set.

However, I do need to check that they focus where they say they do - basically collimate them. And if there's any adjustements, I need someone who's got some experience with lenses (doesn't have to be specific for these lenses - all lenses work in pretty much the same way). For instance, one of them goes a bit beyond infinity on the scale before it stops and I don't know if the scale's out or if the stops out - stuff like that. I also need to make new engravings in feet on them (could be done with a high end sticker, I suppose).

Where can I do this in either England or Europe with confidence? Heard of Les Bosher, but I think he's more into making conversions and new mounts.

Thanks.

Les Bosher has collimated some lenses for me before, but being in Wales you have to ship them to him.

In addition to the techs mentioned you can try asking the lens techs at hire companies - arri media, one8six, ICE, Axis etc.

Also Cristopher Smith at Van Dieman still has a collimator and use to take the lomos apart and rehouse them - www.vandiemen.tv/index.html. Tell me where you get them done as I need a 100mm lomo roundfront collimated next month.

On the Continent, you could ask Peter Märtin at Vantage Film, they know a lot about Russian anamorphic lens technology and should be able to service your lenses.

www.vantagefilm.com

petermartin@vantagefilm.com

phone +49 961 26795

Edited by Christian Appelt

I've just bought a set of anamorphic lenses from an old friend who used to import them from Russia. The lenses are in PL mount and have proper 0.8 modul gearing for Arri-type follow focusing.

What full name of lenses ? This is round front glass or square front glass.

You ask about adjust of flange focal distance of lens or need test and adjust of position of anamorphic components too?

I service of russian spherical and anamorphic lenses, russian professional cine cameras and other cine cameras too.

If you will need, you can ask me about technical consultation.