Kinor 35H Lubrication, need help!

Pritchett Cotten

I've looked far and wide on the net, and have found essentially nothing about lubricating the Kinor 35H. I did read the information on lubing on the recent post titled "Good Kinor Sites." This is the best info I've found, but it didn't give me a good sense of exactly what to do. Does anyone have any good info on how to lubricate the camera and mags (if they need it too)? Is the lubrication process similar to a Moviecam? Does anyone have any photos demonstrating how to do it? Any information anyone could provide would be most helpful. I'm kind of at a standstill with the camera cause I don't want to run it without oil!!

I've looked far and wide on the net, and have found essentially nothing about lubricating the Kinor 35H. I did read the information on lubing on the recent post titled "Good Kinor Sites." This is the best info I've found, but it didn't give me a good sense of exactly what to do. Does anyone have any good info on how to lubricate the camera and mags (if they need it too)? Is the lubrication process similar to a Moviecam? Does anyone have any photos demonstrating how to do it? Any information anyone could provide would be most helpful. I'm kind of at a standstill with the camera cause I don't want to run it without oil!!

Go to commiecam.com and look up Olex's sight. He's got a lot of stuff on Kinor 35s and actually on any Russian cam you can think of. If I'm not mistaken, there's a lube photo section there in the kinor section as well.

Here are a few more adresses though Kinor places are far and few between:

konvas.org (Has kinor too but not much)

rafcamera.com

www.geocities.com/russiancamera

www.cinemods.com

www.konvas.info/v/dan/

konvas.com/

These are all I've found so far. If you come up with any new sites, please let me know. Thanks B)

Go to commiecam.com and look up Olex's sight. He's got a lot of stuff on Kinor 35s and actually on any Russian cam you can think of. If I'm not mistaken, there's a lube photo section there in the kinor section as well.

Here are a few more adresses though Kinor places are far and few between:

konvas.org (Has kinor too but not much)

rafcamera.com

www.geocities.com/russiancamera

www.cinemods.com

www.konvas.info/v/dan/

konvas.com/

These are all I've found so far. If you come up with any new sites, please let me know. Thanks B)

Thanks for the information Steve. I checked out Olex's site, there was some good information, but I did not see any about lubrication. I did get in contact with Steve Morton through the site you provided, but again no concrete info about it. Thanks again, and I'll let you know if I find more sites and info!

I got this e-mail from Olex, I don't know if it will help or not, but here it is:

Hi Steve.

=Thanks for the information, Olex. Do you have any diagrams or photos

for

=lubricating the Kinor 35H.

I don't can show you of all points of lubricating of Kinor-35 H,

because, the some parts can be service with take to pieces of a few

modules and panels only.

The very important condition of lubricating of axis of mirror disk and

other parts.

But, the basic lubricating you can do personally.

If you open of lid of camera and check of all parts of transport

mechanism, you can see a few holes with red circuits. This is points of

lubricating.

( Sorry, I don't have pictures and don't have Kinor-35 at service new

for shoot of this points ).

This is axis of film rollers and axis of transport mechanism.

If I remember correct, a some version of transport mechanism have holes

for lubricating, closed of small screws, you need unscrew of this screw

and you will open of hope with oiled tissue pin.

Other, you will need oil of all surfaces of all transport and

registration pin parts.

Any case, I recommend you ask of professional camera technician do this.

Best regards

Olexandr

For What it's Worth.

I've looked far and wide on the net, and have found essentially nothing about lubricating the Kinor 35H. ...

I have written about this before, but:

On the 35H cameras I have seen, which is only a handful, there is an extremely rinky-dink "bearing" on the back of the motor, where the crystal circuit's optical encoder has been added to what evidently was originally a pilot signal recording camera. This is under high tension from the tight timing belt. It is a very badly conceived add-on with a plain steel shaft running in a plain aluminum "bearing." This is one reason why I stopped doing crystal updates to USA circuitry on the 35H cameras.

Without constant oil, the "bearing" will start to screech and seize up, jamming the camera. To get to it you have to partly disassemble the camera. To be safe you might have to do this every 1000 feet of running.

This aluminum "bearing" should be replaced by a qualified machinist with a long sintered bronze bearing or preferably a pair of actual ball bearings, in order to be a reliable assembly. This aluminum sleeve is an incredibly sleazy modification to what otherwise seems to be a fine camera. As I said, I don't know if all 35H cameras have this problem. Hopefully yours has been updated?

What other forum? B)

Sorry, not "forum." I meant another 'posting' titled "Good Kinor Sites" within the Kinor forum on cinematography.com. I just looked back to it and it was info on lubrication that you had posted before! But what you just posted had a few different things listed. I still need to sit down with both lists and work with it. Thanks again!