AG DVX 100B - Vertical detail/Deatil Coring

Nemanja N. Jovanov

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have sugestion about VERTICAL DETAIL and DETAIL CORING setting for film transfer!!!

I already shoot on 100A for film, and used DETAIL LEVEL -4 and VERTICAL THIN, and was wery pleased with the result.

100 B has aditional detail setting (beside DEATAIL LEVEL and THIN, MID. THICK setting) and I am wondering what to do with them?!

My goal is to achieve best possible information for transfer, so I need to reduce in-camera processing as much as I can.

Maybe I can leave them 0 (unchanged)

Please help.

Nemanja

• Premium Member

Barry Green suggests keeping it to THIN if you're planning on a film-out.

The newer MID (as its name implies) seems to be just a happy medium between the 2.

If I remember correctly, he outlines THICK if you're doing just TV and THIN for film-out. MID would be for those undecided and wanting to 'play it safe'.

Again, just recalling info from his "The DVX Book". I shoot THIN even though most of my stuff is for broadcast. Only occassionally do I see issues with vertical data.

• Premium Member

Detail coring affects the amount of edge enhancement that gets applied to very fine detail, like noise from boosted gain. But it also removes detail enhancment from all fine detail, like the texture in fabric.

Sometimes you can use coring to smooth out (not remove) noise when using additional gain, but just be aware that too much will just start to make the image look soft by removing enhancement.

If you're transferring to film your best protection is to use as large a professional monitor as you can get. You can't see the effects of coring well enough on the camera's LCD.

Detail coring affects the amount of edge enhancement that gets applied to very fine detail, like noise from boosted gain. But it also removes detail enhancment from all fine detail, like the texture in fabric.

Sometimes you can use coring to smooth out (not remove) noise when using additional gain, but just be aware that too much will just start to make the image look soft by removing enhancement.

If you're transferring to film your best protection is to use as large a professional monitor as you can get. You can't see the effects of coring well enough on the camera's LCD.

Thanks Michael.

N.