Infrared 35mm motion picture film

Zachary Vex

I'm finding mixed results when searching for infrared cinefilm. A friend of mine who is researching wheat mold would like me to set up an inervalometer to track the mold's daily rhythms over a week or so but doesn't want visible light to be involved. I told him he might have to set up something digital, but I'm not familiar with what might work.

Yeah it is slightly ambiguous. I've heard that high speed infrared is available as a graphics product and can be ordered from a Kodak graphics dealer. However, I've also heard that Kodak has ceased it's infrared 35mm.

If they do have the infrared, make sure you get the right perforation, since it comes in many different kinds.

Good luck!

Dan Goldberg..

• Premium Member

There was. Both B&W and Color reversal. They stoped packaging it as a 35mm MP film, unless you ordered enough to make it profitable for them.

Now Kodak has announced they will no longer be making Infrared film in any format, for stills or MP.

There are lots of rumors around the net about Kodak's possible discontinuation of their IR films(HIE and EIR) but so far there hasn't been any official announcement that I could find anywhere or by calling Kodak. As of right now, they are both still available (HIE and EIR) in 35mm. There are also a couple of other manufactures of B+W IR film in 35mm, like Maco/Rollei, Efke and Konica(if still made).I don't know how easy or hard it would be to get them in long enough lengths for cine use or with short-pitch perfs. but with a large enough special order, they will probably do it.

All I'd need for this project is a 100' daylight load, if they sell it that way. My Eyemo's NCS intervalometer could deliver 45 seconds (scientists get bored too) over a period of many days of mold movement using that small load. I doubt I'd be able to get any film manufacturer to deliver 100' if they're on the verge of cutting that product off completely.

• Premium Member

Efke just released an Infrared film for stills I haven't used it.

There is also the Ilford SFX which is near IR and the Maco/Rollei film which is similar.

You may be able to persuade those manufacturers to cut it down.

I doubt I'd be able to get any film manufacturer to deliver 100' if they're on the verge of cutting that product off completely.

When I looked to getting it in 16mm about 14 years ago, the minimum order from Kodak would have cost me

$ 8,000.

Also the issue of Estar base in a camera.

Not much shelf life with this stuff. (I'd beware of deals on ebay :D )

-Sam

Another issue when and if you could get 100ft loads is finding the lab that would be willing and able to process it without fogging.

If you do find a source of 100ft loads and a lab to process them I and several others would love to know about it.

I did some stills with infrared colour reversal and it looked amazing. I would love to be able to find that in 100 ft. loads with the right perfs, of course.