How good are Canon Lenses for s16?

Tom York

• Premium Member
We resently aquired a s16 camera package that came with a Canon Super 16mm zoom 8mm-64mm T2.4. Is this lense good enough for a feature?

Hi Tom,

It's a good workhorse lens for S16. They do vary in quality so you should test it.

Stephen

Hi Tom,

It's a good workhorse lens for S16. They do vary in quality so you should test it.

Stephen

Thanks for the reply. We will definitely test it. A DoP told me that this particular lens was discontinued and replaced by Canon with a 9mm-65mm zoom, but that the original design was better (the 8-64mm one). I'm still wondering why.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. We will definitely test it. A DoP told me that this particular lens was discontinued and replaced by Canon with a 9mm-65mm zoom, but that the original design was better (the 8-64mm one). I'm still wondering why.

Hi,

The current version of the 8-64 is the 7-63. Both very respectable IMHO.

Stephen

Hi,

The current version of the 8-64 is the 7-63. Both very respectable IMHO.

Stephen

Oh, you are right. I went in the wrong direction. :rolleyes:

It's good to know that both lenses are good. I am now even happier with our purchase. Thanks Stephen for your insight.

Hi Tom,

Stephen

I agree that it is a good lens as well and has been for some time. I seem to recall that this lens has a nice min close focusing range of about 1.5 feet or so. Much better than your average regular 16mm Zeiss T2 10-100 which would vignette. That had a close focus of 5 feet but you could cheat it to 3.5 feet if one was zoomed in a bit.

Best

Tim

I agree that it is a good lens as well and has been for some time. I seem to recall that this lens has a nice min close focusing range of about 1.5 feet or so.

Yes, I was looking at it right now and the focus ring keeps going well beyond the last marking of 0.6m.

• Premium Member
What about the 8-64?

Hi,

Breathes way less than old Zeiss 10-100.

The truth is that all the S16 zooms are a bit long in the tooth, nothing radical in the last few years. The 8-64 is however very respectable, they sell on Ebay for $5000-6500.

Stephen