capturing

Stacy R Fillion

Not if its digital. Do you get lower quality JPEGs if they get read off a cheaper Hard drive than originaly recorded to?

digital is digital. Analog is where you need to get high quality devices for their superior S/N and amplifier THD (does THD apply to amps designed for something other than audio? I dunno. WOuldn't be harmonic would it? I'm off topic) no. Record with a DVX-100 and capture with an elura 100 or some other $200 mini-DV camera.

Edited by Michael Collier

For two reasons:

-A lot of people use a cheap camera as a deck in their editing suite to save on drum and head hours on their camera.

-Say i hire a XL2 to shoot a short film, i can use my own cheaper camera to capture the footage rather than having to spend money on the camera for the days needed to capture.

In both cases you just use the camera as a deck. A consumer camera is about 4 times cheaper than a deck, and if its just for capturing, the functions the deck uses are the same as the camera. This is all provided that you are capturing via firewire.

I found a cheap jvc camera that was being sold because it could only play back, and not record..

got it for $30 and its been running ever since as my backup deck. cant beat that.

capturing off of an expensive camera is a big no no. tapes made by certain manufacturers can leave a nasty residue on your cam heads. I learned that the hard way.

capturing off of an expensive camera is a big no no. tapes made by certain manufacturers can leave a nasty residue on your cam heads. I learned that the hard way.

I read it somewhere that it might not be any particular residues from insidiuous manufactuers, but rather some kind of chemical reaction between different lubricants used in tapes. They all use some kind of lubricant, and all leave some kind of residue, it could be some odd chemical reaction that degrades or impedes the drums function. I heard that its not using cheap tapes, but either not staying with one brand of tape for the life of the drum(...could be propaganda from the manufactuers?) or using one kind of tape for a long duration and suddenly switching to a new brand...hinting that as long as you change it up constantly your in the clear?

Just something I read....not fact.

....if all you spent was 250 on a cheap mini-dv cameara, then I don't see much point worrying why residue causes premature drum failure. If you spent 2000 on a deck then I can see the point.

Edited by Michael Collier

For two reasons:

-A lot of people use a cheap camera as a deck in their editing suite to save on drum and head hours on their camera.

-Say i hire a XL2 to shoot a short film, i can use my own cheaper camera to capture the footage rather than having to spend money on the camera for the days needed to capture.

In both cases you just use the camera as a deck. A consumer camera is about 4 times cheaper than a deck, and if its just for capturing, the functions the deck uses are the same as the camera. This is all provided that you are capturing via firewire.

:o Wow good to know, thanks!

I found a cheap jvc camera that was being sold because it could only play back, and not record..

got it for $30 and its been running ever since as my backup deck. cant beat that.

Hmmm...

What would you classify as an expensive camera? I have a DVX100B, and in comparison to my bank account, its expensive... :unsure:

I also have a Conon HandyCam at home (forget the model)...also miniDV. Should I use that to capture instead of my DVX?

Thanks!!

The dvx is a pretty sweet camera that you really should not use as your deck..

The quality of the camera makes no difference in capturing (unless its heads are dirty) so use

your cheap canon and you will be fine.

great thanks a lot :)