Good length 16mm zoom for shooting Surfing??

Eugene Sung

Hi,

We're going to Peru and we're going to shoot some surfing for a project we're working on.

We hopefully will be using an Arri-S.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good length 16mm zoom for shooting surfing. The people can be really far from shore (sometimes up to 300 meters or so).

What would be a good lense (that's not crazy expensive as we're not rich) for this?

Are there any tricks for adapting still 35mm lenses to an Arri-S? I've read that it's not possible with Canon still lenses, but is it possible with any other company (Nikon for instance, or any 35mm still lense)????

Thanks in advance

I assume you would have similar problems when mounting 35mm still lenses from other brands on an Arriflex but don't quote me on that. Do you have access to a K3? You could pick up some cheap Takumar lenses for this Russian camera. Ive got a Takumar 200mm and a Tamron 400mm for my K3. Both lenses cost me very little.

I assume you would have similar problems when mounting 35mm still lenses from other brands on an Arriflex but don't quote me on that. Do you have access to a K3? You could pick up some cheap Takumar lenses for this Russian camera. Ive got a Takumar 200mm and a Tamron 400mm for my K3. Both lenses cost me very little.

If one's shooting surfers with a spring wound camera, I suspect that most of the time the wind will run out a second before the really spectacular wipe outs. 400' loads would be convenient too.

A 12-240mm or 25-250mm might be okay. You'll need a support for either. For that matter any really long lens will need one.

Hi-

There is a nikon to arri adaptor (with optics) that functions as a tele-extender (1.4x I think, which is good for what you're using it for). The only other one (no optics) pushes the lens a little too far out, like an extension tube, so you can only use it for macro work.

Also look for the Kilfitt tele-kilars, they made 150mm, 300mm, 400mm and maybe a 600mm? They used a kind of screw-on adapt-all mount, so if you can find one with an arri mount, (or just the mount) you could use any of the others, regardless of which mount they might currently have screwed onto the back. I had the 300 on an arri-m and it was a pretty nice lens, lightweight and inexpensive.