My first time using 16mm

I recently posted a topic on the 16mm forum inquiring about why my raw footage from 7218 film was so grainy. Here is the movie that I shot with that film. It was really meant to test out my new arriflex 16s camera and I only used 80 feet on it. The footage was really underexposed because I didn't have a lightmeter (i have one now). It was telecined at technicolor toronto to sd under their student rate.

Can anybody tell me how deluxe lab is compared to technicolor? Thanks.

Haha, this is awesome. I was surprised by how much I liked it. I especially dug the 'left-right-lookaround' shot. I also liked how there wasn't a focus pull on the shot after that, he just walks into focus; reminded me of Godard's Notre Musique. Nice wide-angle look, seems pretty sharp too, entirely more "cinematic" of a look than the previous video shorts.

This is well directed and nice sound design! I like the use of wind noise and the screams as the banana is being chopped up.

From what I've heard, it doesn't get much better than Technicolor or maybe FotoKem. Check out Alpha Cine Lab though!

Edited by Patrick McGowan

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys. Im going to to be shooting some more 16mm. Most of the film i'm using in my next project will be 200t and 50d so im not too worried about grain but I'm using one roll of 500 t 7218 for the darker scenes. Other than rating it at 250 what can I do to avoid obtrustive grain? This time I'm getting it transfered on a good quality c-reality instead of an old rank.