Short zoom

Adam Frisch FSF

• Premium Member

I need a zoom in the 25-80mm range. It must be fairly fast and also light since it's all handheld.

Is there anything out there?

The Angeniuex 17-80mm sounds great, but who has it in London? Also, what are the specs? Angenieux website is absolutely useless to anyone and will simply just turn you into a raving

madman..

Hawk has a 17-35mm, but I fear that's a bit to short. Do they make a longer version?

The VP's are too heavy.

Does Panavision have anything in this range?

• Premium Member

Thanks very much, guys.

In the end I went for a short russian 25-80mm zoom that I've used before. They'll

send it over from Sweden. Got an Aaton 35III 3-perf here from London.

Would have been fun to try the XL on this one, but Panavisions quote was about twice

as high as the Aaton so..

• Premium Member

I think it might be, yes. Although this one was probably made before Elite

came as a brand. It opens to T3.1, if I remember correctly.

I used it on a very simple (and quite boring) music video about a year ago and

was impressed with the overall sharpness. It had the slightest vignetting at full

aperture, but almost not noticeable. And now were going with 3-perf, so that

will not be an issue.

You can watch the video here in crappy Real Media if you like:

Music video w. Russian 25-80 zoom

I own one a 23-80 it's really nice, a little soft at the long 65-80 end, breathes alot when you rack, but it's tiny ( about as big as a 9.5-57 ) and has very good resolution and contrast, it fully covers super 35. It's a great lens for any hand held run and gun stuff ( the kind of things an aaton 35 excells at ) and steadicam assuming you are okay with shooting at t3.4 The front element spins when focused so I use either a round series 9 or a traditional style mattebox.

Matt Uhry

DP LA

The Elite zoom is pretty good, nice glass. The mechanics are pretty strange though. The lens first existed as a Russian lens and then as the Optar, and at the time the mechanical build quality was fairly poor. The Elite version is much more solid and well-built. But it does have peculiar characteristics, such as crazy amounts of breathing that varys greatly depending on the focal length. And a zoom mechanism that does not magnify linearly, so that as you zoom in even on a motor control such as a Microforce the zoom rate will speed up towards the telephoto end.

The glass is nice, but it has funky artifacts that again vary depending on lens length. Not bad, but it's something that you need to check out before diving in or you may be rather suprised. Elite also has a rear anamorphot element that they add to turn it into a 50-160 T4.5 or so. That anamorphot is really tiny - around the size of a thumbnail! - but its quality is surprisingly good.

I'd consider this zoom good for handheld or steadicam work for video finish but would be a bit particular before using it for a film finish.