Super Baltar

Jarin Blaschke

Hi all:

Are the Super Baltars only available in the Mitchell (BNCR) mount? Would Panavision have these? - mountable in a PV mount? Also, what speed are they and are they compadible with a modern follow focus? Does anyone rent these in New York, or is it just Alan Gordon in LA?

Thanks!

-Jarin

• Premium Member
Hi all:

Are the Super Baltars only available in the Mitchell (BNCR) mount? Would Panavision have these? - mountable in a PV mount? Also, what speed are they and are they compadible with a modern follow focus? Does anyone rent these in New York, or is it just Alan Gordon in LA?

Thanks!

-Jarin

Hi,

http://www.ducloslenses.com/ have some PL mounted lenses, very rare!

I am sure PV can help you out.

Stephen

Hi all:

They're actually in a Mitchell S35R (MarkII) mount which is the camera they were originally built for.

The BNCR mounts are usually an adaptor ring permanantly attached to the S35R mount.

Most are T2.3. The 20mm T3 or T2.8.

• Premium Member

There is also an issue with the back end of the housing. Flat backs can't go on mirrored cameras. Tapered backs can in some instances. Ken Stone has the 411 on all of the variations. Stephen Williams knows a lot about it, too.

• Premium Member
There is also an issue with the back end of the housing. Flat backs can't go on mirrored cameras. Tapered backs can in some instances. Ken Stone has the 411 on all of the variations. Stephen Williams knows a lot about it, too.

Hi,

I filed the back of 50mm once so It did not hit the pelicule in a Fries 35R.

Stephen

• Premium Member
YOU DID WHAT !!!!!!!!

Was that with a bastard file? lol

Hi Chuck,

I unscrewed the piece that holds the rear element in place, then filed it down as thin as I dared & put the lens back together.

The previous 'User' of this camera did not bother reading Doug Fries warning, that some 50mm Super Balatar lenses required a slight rework! When he focussed the camera to infinity the beamsplitter fractured into a 1000 pieces, that was the first time I had the pleasure of taking a Fries Mitchell to pieces!

Stephen

Hi Chuck,

I unscrewed the piece that holds the rear element in place, then filed it down as thin as I dared & put the lens back together.

The previous 'User' of this camera did not bother reading Doug Fries warning, that some 50mm Super Balatar lenses required a slight rework! When he focussed the camera to infinity the beamsplitter fractured into a 1000 pieces, that was the first time I had the pleasure of taking a Fries Mitchell to pieces!

Stephen

That sucked, and it's so hard gluing all those little pieces back togeather.

• Premium Member
That sucked, and it's so hard gluing all those little pieces back togeather.

Hi Chuck,

The camera has a bellows focusing & is used on a MoCo rig. Some of those bits if glass had a habit of showing up even years later!

Stephen

Hi all:

Thanks!

-Jarin

Hi, I have one with an arri standard mount, 11mm.

cheers

Ahhhh....

I you sure about that?

That would be one of the three lens meant for the Mitchell 16SSR, newscamera. Had Arri standard mount.

The principal lens would be the 12-120 Angie, with B&L supplying 11, 25 and 50mm Arri mount Super Baltars.

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
They're actually in a Mitchell S35R (MarkII) mount which is the camera they were originally built for.

The BNCR mounts are usually an adaptor ring permanantly attached to the S35R mount.

Most are T2.3. The 20mm T3 or T2.8.

Expensive and/or difficult to mate these to PL mounts?