History of Motion Pcture lenses and their use

Jarin Blaschke

Is there a reference any where (print or electronic) of the history and release dates of lenses through the years?

I'm shooting a period piece in the 70s and am looking for information on lenses frequently used during that time. I presume that in the mid/late 70s that Panavision had their SS and US lenses, but am not sure that my search ends there. What other lenses did they offer at that time? Also, which lenses were used with Arri cameras? Looking at Taxi Driver, for example, it seems that 3-bladed superspeeds were used, but I am not sure. When were superspeeds introduced? Were there only 3 bladed designs, or did they make 6-blades superspeeds then as well? Thanks everybody.

Jarin

• Premium Member

I saw an add in a 1961 or 1962 issue of American Cinematographer for the Zeiss Standard Speed lenses. The Super-Speeds date back to the mid 1970's I think. Canon was also selling some high-speed cine lenses at the time.

And some people were still using the old Cooke Panchros and B&L Baltars.

And don't forget all the people using the 25-250mm Angenieux zoom back then, not to mention the new Cooke 20-100mm.

Thanks. Does anyone know when the Panavision US and SS lenses came out?

The normal speed sphericals came outaround 1970, a few years after the PSR came out.

You'll have to go to the library and go through the yeatly Progress Comittee Reports in the SMPTE Journal and new product announcements and ads in American Cinematographer.

There was a 2 page ad in AC around 1970 in AC announcing the spherical lenses.

This might have been the first ad Panavision had.

Is there a reference any where (print or electronic) of the history and release dates of lenses through the years?

I'm shooting a period piece in the 70s and am looking for information on lenses frequently used during that time. I presume that in the mid/late 70s that Panavision had their SS and US lenses, but am not sure that my search ends there. What other lenses did they offer at that time? Also, which lenses were used with Arri cameras? Looking at Taxi Driver, for example, it seems that 3-bladed superspeeds were used, but I am not sure. When were superspeeds introduced? Were there only 3 bladed designs, or did they make 6-blades superspeeds then as well? Thanks everybody.

Jarin

Hi there I have and old printing of an American Cinematographer Manual the first printing out in 1969 and in the advertismentt section there are a lot of Mitchell new cameras at that time if you want to research the lenses here are the models...

35mm mitchell NC (Usually for studio/location)

35mm mitchell BNC-R Reflex

35mm mitchell S-35R (MK II)

there are also ARRIFLEX 35mm available for for that time the models are:

35mm Arriflex 2C/B

35mm Arriflex 2CV/B

35mm Arriflex 2CGS/B

35mm Arriflex 2CHS/B

35mm Arriflex 2CT/B

and usually the brand of lenses were Scheneider, Zeiss, Taylor Hobson, Kilfitt, Angenieux and others that can feet with that kind of models.

rafael