Yet more travelling with film gear advice req

Nick Mulder

Hello,

I'm planning some travel near the end of the year through at least three of the following countries/cities:

Chile, Brazil, NYC, London, Germany, Netherlands, Russia, Hong Kong and Japan

I want to travel with a Bolex EL and a heap of daylight loads of stock (I'm leaving the 400 mag at home) - Color footage will be processed in the larger cities - B+W will be carried with me for the duration of the trip for special home processing...

I'm not shooting for commerical purposes, its 'arty' so to speak.

My question is:

Regardless of my intentions I could look like I'm shooting for commercial reasons, with more camera gear in the pack than clothes and wotnot - will I have issues with the various governmental dept's enquiring into my activities re. tax / work permits ?

As an 'artist' am I seen as working anyway ?

Another factor is that I imagine about half of the footage will just be of the vein of the holiday snappy snaps - just taken with a rather elaborate system ...

Can I expect any grief ?

I've never heard any mention of problems of this ilk, but just dont want to stuff things up for lack of preperation

Any help appreciated + cheers,

Nick

Or nobody knows the answer for sure :)

It's so hard to tell how the officials are going to react in various places, especially given that "tourists" don't much use film anymore.

I was hoping to tap into the knowledge of those here that do travel - and I know there are a few due to the many topics re. airport X-ray concerns ...

I'll do some ring arounds of the various consulates and wotnot if all else fails - they are notoriously bureaucratic and if you dont give them a. time or b. money the answers derived forthwith are usually riddled with inconsistencies/unclear info that need another two or three rounds of phone calls to clear up ...

• Premium Member

Hi Nick,

I brought an Arri S along on a trip to the Cayman Islands a year and a half ago. I packed most of the gear in a rolling Pelican case, the model that's designed to fit in an airliner's overhead bin. The batteries and chargers and some things like tape, spools and boxes and a monopod were packed in my luggage. The most grief I got was from my wife: "Do you always have to bring that thing?"

On the return leg there was the usual panic/confusion/indecision by the security crew at the screening checkpoint when I asked them to hand-check the film (they refused). No issues with the actual equipment itself.

-Fran

• Premium Member

You will need to contact NZ customs or a shipping company and obtain a carnet. If you dont you may well return home without equipment. Its essential you do this. It has nothing to do with why you are travelling but what you are traveling with.

Failure to do so will result in impoundments / fines / local taxes....

Give PV Auckland a call, they are a helpful bunch....

You will need to contact NZ customs or a shipping company and obtain a carnet. If you dont you may well return home without equipment. Its essential you do this. It has nothing to do with why you are travelling but what you are traveling with.

Failure to do so will result in impoundments / fines / local taxes....

Russia isn't a Carnet country (be prepared for a shedload of paperwork and hassle) . It's possible that some of the other aren't either (not the Europeans) Strictly speaking you do need a carnet, but i would have thought you be alright without one given you're only carrying a bolex.

• Premium Member

You dont need a carnet if you are traveling from an EU origin to another EU state. Otherwise you will need a carnet ....

It really doesnt matter what the kit is. You can have a suitcase full of bath taps.......If they think you may be intending to sell it in that country (and if they decide that, then that is what you are doing and you will spend hours and maybe days convincing them otherwise)

Your local customs website should have loads of info on this

I take carnets out of UK all the time - believe me...... we are carnet

Strictly speaking you do need a carnet, but i would have thought you be alright without one given you're only carrying a bolex.

Its a super16 EL tho - fancy enough looking maybe ? Especially with all the daylight loads in the pack with it...

Maybe if I were to bring a wind-up egg beater I'd think about not getting one - making me think maybe my SB (wind-up) might be a better idea ...

I bought it for around $200 US but its been so cleaned up with new parts and super16'ed that its not probably worth at least 5 times that now... The lenses (4 primes) even more...

I found here is the place to apply for the carnet.

consumables - I dont need them often, but when I do I haven't found anywhere else that is a one stop shop for compressed air, tape, cleaning fluids, wratten gel etc... Unless there is another place that stocks all of these then I'll save on the time and petrol used up on Aucklands congested streets and/or courier delivery ... If you know of one then please pass on the details !

So in terms of working/visitors permits I get the message its up to the individual countries involved and their particular policies - Really up to how they perceive me ... I'll make sure I get in touch with them individually once my itinerary is more concrete and spell things out like I have here... Russia looks like a headache, but its a place I've wanted to visit for years (and the Ukraine) ...

Its always been interesting to follow the history of my cameras, I've got a photo of a previous owner of a wind up I own shooting in Russia with it - Interesting also how I can be jealous of it having been there and not me :rolleyes:

I'll report back with my findings... (might be a while)

• Premium Member

If you dont get concrete answers from PV or a shipping agent in NZ you could try contacting Samfreight in London (Andrew Holland I think). They've arranged most of the carnets I've had to cart around over 30 years so not much they wouldn't know

As for consumables I'd go to a regular camera store and get the rest online if its your money, but I guess you dont have time?

Traffic in Auckland? LOL

Good luck Nick (I know your name from somewhere - might I have worked with you in NZ?)

Traffic in Auckland? LOL

Good luck Nick (I know your name from somewhere - might I have worked with you in NZ?)

Traffic - wasn't too bad today actually - but somtimes its takes 40 minutes to move 1km - youch

Worked with me in NZ ? dont think so - I'm pretty fresh on the scene... Unless it was theatre work (stage theatre) or maybe you did work on a Discovery Channel doco in 2000 "Alien Abduction - Fact or Fiction" - I was the UK for that, working for the production dept though ...

You dont need a carnet if you are traveling from an EU origin to another EU state. Otherwise you will need a carnet ....

Your local customs website should have loads of info on this

I take carnets out of UK all the time - believe me...... we are carnet

I know the UK is carnet, as is the rest of the EU, and many other countries besides, but there are countries who do not use the Carnet system (China & India) or who do, but may require a huge bond to cover your stay, and lots of paperwoek (Russia :-( )

I've done a lot of travelling this year with lots of kit. The one bit of kit we had that didn't go on the carnet was an HVX200. It apparently looks enough like a holiday camcorder that customs weren't bothered about it. So, it's possible that you'll be alright, as long as it looks sufficiently amateur, but there will always be countries like Russia, where you just can't tell how they're going to react.