Unusual Super 16 Arri BL Conversion

Guest Ian Marks

Guest Ian Marks

I saw this unusual-looking Arri on Ebay and thought others might find it interesting. It's an Arri BL with special low-profile magazines. According to an e-mail I received from the seller, it was converted to Super 16 by the Aranda Group (probably the only folks who would attempt such a job).

e724_12.JPG

Edited by Ian Marks

I saw this unusual-looking Arri on Ebay and thought others might find it interesting. It's an Arri BL with special low-profile magazines. According to an e-mail I received from the seller, it was converted to Super 16 by the Aranda Group (probably the only folks who would attempt such a job).

e724_12.JPG

Is the listing still there? If not how much did it sell for?

Dang, that's awesome. Just seems like too much trouble to go to...but it would have helped when I was trying to shoot in a car and couldn't get the camera body high enough on account of the protruding magazine. Also it might be easier on your back while handholding for longer periods of time.

Is the listing still there? If not how much did it sell for?

www.ebay.com search: Arri

found: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230133567322

From an aesthetic viewpoint its dead sexy yeh - (I have an active interest in product/industrial design)

Like a space ship from the Alien series ...

Are the low profile mags dual concentric ?

Guest Ian Marks
Are the low profile mags dual concentric ?

Yep, if you mean side-by-side (co-axial). One problem I see with this camera is that it requires the use of a lens blimp. If you wanted to mount a lens other than the one supplied with it, you'd have a noise problem. Still, an interesting beast. I wonder how it is to hand-hold...

Yep, if you mean side-by-side (co-axial)

Yep, thats what I meant ... I've been thinking about making my own hifi amp (tubes) and dual concentric speaker designs are swimming through my head :rolleyes:

Hi-

That's not a S-16 lens- If I can, here's a quote from Bruce from an earlier post:

"The BLs that we convert to super 16 come with either this lens or the 10-100 Zeiss. The Angenieux beats the Zeiss hands down for coverage. From 14mm the Angenieux covers the frame but the Zeiss covers from 13mm, then crops from about 15 to 20mm. The lens circle moves in and out.

Of course I am talking about the lens focused on infinity. Start focusing forward and you get serious vignetting."

Seems kind of limiting!