Sony HVR-V1U vs Panasonic HVX200

Christina Aguirre

It's really a matter of opinion. If it were me I would choose the HVX any day. First off, the V1U doesn't have true 24p like the HVX. I personally thing that the HVX has better color reproduction and better gamma curves then the V1U. As far as in low light, the HVX is a bit noisy. I just came off a shoot using a V1U with and SG-Pro 35mm adapter. I really don't like the way motion looks with the 24f function, and the colors were, well videoish. I thing that the look of the HVX, while still video, is a lot warmer. If you're going to be renting rather then buying I would see if the renal house will let you perform some test with each camera first, maybe that way you decide which will be better for you.

Edited by Joe Sexton

• Premium Member
It's really a matter of opinion. If it were me I would choose the HVX any day. First off, the V1U doesn't have true 24p like the HVX.

Yes, it does, unlike the other Sony HDV cameras (it doesn't use the "CineFrame" process to create a fake 24P look in 60i).

But it records true 24P capture to 60i/1080 with a standard 3:2 pulldown.

I agree. Sony has better low light,.. but what are you doing shooting in the dark anyway?

The biggest difference (aside from the way it handles 24P) is the codec. Panasonic's DVC PRO HD is way better than HDV. I used a Z1U almost everyday for a year then switched to the HVX about a year ago and can't look back. Sure the P2 work flow is jarring at first, but honestly I like it a lot. If you have heavy motion HDV will fall apart and artifact. If you want to do heavy color correction forget it on HDV, the info just isn't there.

Sony's "cineframe 24" is really strobey, and (on the Z1U) it was 29.97 with a 3:2 pulldown, so it really was a hassle to get true 24P.

I say HVX all the way!

- Greg

Yes, it does, unlike the other Sony HDV cameras (it doesn't use the "CineFrame" process to create a fake 24P look in 60i).

But it records true 24P capture to 60i/1080 with a standard 3:2 pulldown.

I stand corrected, Actually I had my cameras confused. I haven't used the V1U just the Z1U. Thanks for pointing that out David.

• 1 month later...