B&W plates

F Bulgarelli

Hello everyone,

We will be shooting some background plates in black and white for a feature film.

I'm concerned that we are not using any type of gyro stabilizing system and could get a lot of jumping footage.

Also, we want to do some night as well, I was thinking that since this is a period piece we could shoot at dusk, expose it normally and then print it down, like they did in the old days to get the night look.

Another option was to use a day for night filter.

One last thing, I understand that when you do shots from the side, it's necessary to slow down the speed of the car because since those shots are tighter the speed will appear faster to the eye when rear projected.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Francisco

• Premium Member

I figured that you might pick up grain twice if you shoot both the background plates and the rearprojection on black and white stock, especially the Double X. Usually people try to get the background plates in as high quality as possible.

So with color neg you have less grain and more speed and sharpness. On the other hand you very likely will not get that lovely blooming highlight look that B&W gives you, but you could add a filter and/or do it in post, if you use digital rear projection as opposed to film projection.

In the April ediiton of AC was a very interesting article on the current state of rear projection.

I figured that you might pick up grain twice if you shoot both the background plates and the rearprojection on black and white stock, especially the Double X. Usually people try to get the background plates in as high quality as possible.

So with color neg you have less grain and more speed and sharpness. On the other hand you very likely will not get that lovely blooming highlight look that B&W gives you, but you could add a filter and/or do it in post, if you use digital rear projection as opposed to film projection.

In the April ediiton of AC was a very interesting article on the current state of rear projection.

Thank you guys.

Those are good pointers, I need to do a bit more research.

I'm definetely going to use plus x, that is if we go with b&w.

Anyone out there with some experience shooting plates.