Dark Reprieve New Trailer

Good grief Steven this is the 21st Century, what are you trying to watch it with an abacus or Sony walkman? :D

R,

I sold my abacus a month and a half ago. I'll try downloading it but I think I've already got 7 on here, I just HONESTLY hate QT, it's the ONLY codec I seem to have trouble with. Trust me if I click on a video and QT comes up, I usually just close the window and move on and if it was anyone else's work, I wouldn't even bother dealing with it but I really do want to see this trailer. I actually have a feeling this is going to be pretty good. I got faith in ya, Bud. B)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find any video on the web that is not QT, it seems to rule the world.

I can always overnight a DVD to you via FedEx if you can't play it.

R,

I'm actually surprised to get the number of lighting comments I have, thanks to all.

Maybe I've just seen it too many times, 1000 plus and climbing.

There are two scenes where the lighting was "blown" though. I mean the average viewer may not consciously think that, but DPs will :D

Oh well, next time I think I have pretty much decided to direct only, and leave the DOP job to a pro.

Then again I may drive the DOP so crazy he quits after the first day, "so you think the light should go there..........?" :)

R,

Well Mathew I just priced this out on Friday for a series of commercials I'm shooting next month. It's $3500.00 CDN/day for a top guy.

That's some one with a serious reel and CSC membership.

R,

FYI, $5000.00 CDN a day is about 12 pounds.

He He, Michael is a crew member just so you all know.

If any of you are shooting in Toronto I can recomend Michael as a hard working and reliable, grip, gaffer assistant, PA, what ever. He can also edit.

Michael will be on my commercials next month. I'm directing four spots with a bigger crew than I had on the feature. Also the budget on these spots is much larger than my feature budget.

Can any one explain the crazy economics of this business? :blink:

R,

I can't find any video on the web that is not QT, it seems to rule the world.

I can always overnight a DVD to you via FedEx if you can't play it.

R,

I'll take you up on that when you finish with the film because I'd like to see the movie. I did download QT7 and that solved the problem (just use the right version, go figure :rolleyes: ). Raquel Lake is hot. She kinda reminds me of Ashley Judd. How'd you do the wolf / dog, it looked cool.....also, How in the Hell you you get permission to use the abandoned prison?...IF indeed you DID get permission, if not and you shot there anyway, you're my new hero. I'd like to see more. B)

I'll take you up on that when you finish with the film because I'd like to see the movie. I did download QT7 and that solved the problem (just use the right version, go figure :rolleyes: ). Raquel Lake is hot. She kinda reminds me of Ashley Judd.

Deal Or No Deal model, case number 15.

How'd you do the wolf / dog, it looked cool.....

VFX guys in the UK re-built the head of a real wolf.

also, How in the Hell you you get permission to use the abandoned prison?...IF indeed you DID get permission, if not and you shot there anyway, you're my new hero. I'd like to see more.

Of course I got permission, hard to shoot there with a film crew using their power for lights. The Ontario government gave it to me for a song. That place is 160 years old, instant film set!!

R,

It works, it's very cool. I never watched Deal or No Deal, (I kinda feel the same way about game shows as I do about reality TV) but she seams from the from the short bit I saw of her that she can act so maybe you've discovered a star here, that'd be cool, huh! I'm glad to here they're supporting you up there in the Great White North, I actually have to say we've gotten a lot of support here as well fromthe city. I haven't hit up the state yet but I will and sense we're so close to New Mexico and they REALLY support film production, I'm gonna hit those boys too. How was your cast and crew, goor to work with? I actually liked your lighting so I think when you get to the point that you're too busy to do bith jobs THEN you should think about letting someone you trust DP but up until then just keep on trucckin', you're doin' terrific dude. B)

"I actually liked your lighting so I think when you get to the point that you're too busy to do bith jobs THEN you should think about letting someone you trust DP but up until then just keep on trucckin', you're doin' terrific dude."

The financiers that are looking at my next projects are not comfortable with my director/DOP combo. Their points are a) You need to focus on the actors only B) We can always bring in some one that can light and shoot better than you can.

I keep telling my 1st AC that on the next project I will have my directors glass in my hand and that's it!!

And yet next month I'm back to directing and operating, again!

So far my budgets are too small to afford the "luxury" of a dedicated DP.

R,

Hey, Soderbergh still operates so f*#K it, if you're making them money, they're not going to push it, besides what they hire someone for and what actually happens on set often are two different things, dig my meaning? There is something to be said for having the luxury of time to work with your actors though. Being an actor myself, I tend to probably spend more time fawning over them than I probably should but actors can get insecure and defensive very easily so I really try and make the feel safe and protected so they'll let whatever is inside of them out, THAT'S the good stuff!

I also try to take my time with casting and keep an open mind about the "types" I envision for a particular role. You know the old saying 90% of directing is casting so keep hiring good people who are right for the part and you'll spend a LOT less time having to hold their hand and walking them through the project, also, another suggestion, IF you can get the money guys to spring for rehearsal time, you can work out a lot of problems BEFORE you roll the camera, at least that's been my expirence, 'coarse some actors are better without a lot of rehearsal, more spontainious and in the moment, nothing you can do about that except HOPE they don't need a lot of attention while you're dealin with the camera situation :D. I'm sure you probably already know all this, but sometimes I like to say it out loud just to remind my self. How long before you're done with post...or are you still in production? B)

60 days, the post will be done.

Then I'll have the big screen premiere on a bed sheet in my back yard. Then, onto the indie film junk heap with the other thousands before me.

But at least I'll be able to say I did it :D

R,

Bed sheet in your back yard, well if nothing else you do have style, Richie, but if you're gonna do it, do it up right, have limos pull up in front of your driveway, a red carpet and velvet ropes through the back gate, a big guy with a clipboard and an earpiece at the fence, Spotlights on your front porch, a bar set up in you garage and DEFINATELY invite the press, that would be a hoot!. It might actually get you some press. :D As for the junk heap, well let's keep a good thought :rolleyes: . I might suggest however, MAYBE you could shop it around a little instead, hit a few film festivals, see a few distributors. Who knows, you may do better than you think, there is a LOT of garbage out there, A LOT, most of it not nearly as good as yours. You may do better than you think, you got a gorgous leading lady, an interesting premise, cool FX and sets, who knows, at the very least you'll probably win a few dozen awards at film festivals which may translate into more backers. When you are done with it, send me a copy , I know some people that have expressed an interest in possibly releasing Blood Moon when it's done so MAYBE I can get you an offer, couldn't hurt to talk to them for you, if they bite and you don't like the deal they're offering, you can always say no, right? (One small thing though, because I tend to like to err on the side of caution, make sure you have the copywrites regestered before I approach them if you haven't already done that, it's just good business). If you already have something going, STILL send me a copy, cause I'd love to see the film. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

"If any of you are shooting in Toronto I can recomend Michael as a hard working and reliable, grip, gaffer assistant, PA, what ever. He can also edit."

Just want to make sure people saw that. Now if only everyone thought like Richard, then I might actually get some work. (and I AM that good :) )

Can't wait to see the film Richard and I agree that instead of the junk heap, you might want to shop it around. I've seen some BAD films in my time and I think DR looks much much better.

(and when you're famous, remember the little barrie people)

Blair Witch cost 30K :blink: , they musta spent 25K on the wrap party. 'Coarse the only problem with the Blair Witch stategy is I'd have to making up some cacamamie story about the plot being true fact and then spend 4 years on the net in ennane chat rooms trying to convincing gullible teens that it really is fact in order to promote it.

:lol: I'll take it! Actually, I COULD make a movie, shot on 35 for 40K, Hell, Clerks cost 28 and that's without having half the resorces I have availible to me. For 40K I could make a Hell of a nice little picture. I'd follow a Rodger Corman model, ULTRA short shooting schedual, no stars, topical, exploitaive subject matter and Storyboard everything. I'd shoot it in the desert or on the sly so I wouldn't need permits or permission, show some t*ts for the European market and have a lot of gunfire, Do between 15 to 20 set ups a day, limit my coverage, use in-camera editing as much as possible, light so I could reversing angles to shoot another scene in the same location without changng the lighting setup, keep everything in the here and now, have a small crew without clearly defined depatments so people could do multiple jobs including the cast, Keep the script to 90 pages or less with 1 to 4 locations max, keep catering VERY basic, use ONLY what was availible, keep dialog to a miniimum doing as much MOS as possible, no more than 3 takes per shot, do all processing, work prints, sound transfer to mag reels and editing in house, film title cards instead of doing opticals, shoot in daylight only, little to no interiors, have the DP also operate, shoot sphereical wide screen (although I could shoot anamorphic if I could lay my hands on a 35mm Lomo round anamorphic lens and a gate for my Kinor, but I THINK sphereical would be shightly cheaper because you would spend a little less time framing the shots, though I could be wrong, but if it's going striaght to video, it's academic anyway cuz it'll be cropped the widescreen so why not shoot it in widescreen in the first place.), shoot on short ends and recans or if possible discontinued stock, pay only non-union flat rates to everyone NO OVERTIME, Don't pay anyone who is willing to work for free. make sure someone on the crew has a student ID, In general, be innovative, shoot fast and pinch every penny until Lincoln yelps. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

"keep catering VERY basic..."

I was with you until this part. If you're going to feed the crew, forget it, you don't know how to handle money. Make them bring a sack lunch, or better yet, just keep working and don't stop for food.

If a crew member faints replace him with another free student labour guy, easy.

R,