Camera service/repairs - Courses?

Tony Driver

I have always wanted to learn how to repair and service cine cameras, but I don't know the best way to go about it. I'm not sure if there is a course or if you need some form of intern/apprenticeship.

Does anyone have some advice as to how I get started?

Tony,

I don't know where your located, but Panavision has, or use to anyways, an intern program at their facilitie in L.A. Don't know about their other locations. This might be a way to learn some basics but if you want to make a career out of it , that will take many years to become profecient in the ways of fine mechanics and optics.

Chuck

Edited by chuck colburn

• Premium Member

I used to do I.T. work and Network Security Analysis (paid cracking). Then I went to film school. Abel wanted to hire me to work with HD cameras because of my IT and film school background, but I spent the whole interview waxing poetic about old film cameras. They trained me in-house. Brought in people from the factory etc...

If you're in NYC I am sure I can forward your information along to my employers. At the moment I am the ONLY film guy at Abel. A bit depressing, but I'll manage.

Ultimately you'll have to intern in a rental facility, scrubbing cases and cleaning stuff. I believe Bernie O has some sort of workshop on basic camera maintenance, but I haven't heard anything about it.

I used to do I.T. work and Network Security Analysis (paid cracking). Then I went to film school. Abel wanted to hire me to work with HD cameras because of my IT and film school background, but I spent the whole interview waxing poetic about old film cameras. They trained me in-house. Brought in people from the factory etc...

If you're in NYC I am sure I can forward your information along to my employers. At the moment I am the ONLY film guy at Abel. A bit depressing, but I'll manage.

Ultimately you'll have to intern in a rental facility, scrubbing cases and cleaning stuff. I believe Bernie O has some sort of workshop on basic camera maintenance, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Wish I was in NYC - I'd gladly take you up on your offer.

• Premium Member

I have a hunch that taking machinist courses at a vo-tech might be a good place to start, there is so much custom work done with film cameras that if you REALLY want to become a camera tech/engineer also being a good, hands-on machinist might convince someone to hire you on.