pro35 and optimo zoom

Hi, I did a Varicam job with the pro 35 and 24-290 Optimo, and we had to have two sets of rods. The 19mm ones being for the lens support and the 15mm rods being for accessories. I don't remember if all the accessories were on the 15mm rods but it was necessary to have both rods to accommodate everything. Don't know how this applies to the 17-80mm but I would assume it might be the same kind of situation.

Edited by Mike Panczenko

Hi!

I´m in preproduction on a mini tv-series and my plan is to use the pro35adapter with the optimo zoom 17-80 t2.2. I have shoot alot with the adapter and primes but never with zoom.

Is there anyone of you guys that can share some info on this combination.

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Ive worked with the Optimo (Though the longer one) and the pro 35mm adapter and I would like to back up the call from above for a second set of rails. The problem being that the pro 35mm adapter is grounded in video production accessories while the Lens is obviously big, heavy, and requires a real mattebox and pull focus so the limited "light weight" rails system on the adapter is useless. Unfortunately by the time you start to work off the production baseplate and rails then the accessories are odd sizes and you start having to adapt everything, building little kits at the rental house from scratch. Also be prepared to need a seriously long set of rails as by the time you have the camera, the adapter, the lens and the mattebox it becomes a very long beast and extremely lens heavy. You don't indicate what format you're shooting but I've worked with this set up on digi beta as a focus puller and it was shocking how hard a time we had with it, it's not something I would call a pleasure to work with.

Just on a final note, if you can get the gear from a rental house that regularly rents this exact set up you will have far smoother sailing as I have had to work with rental houses who have handed us the gear without really having any experience with it first hand(a double whammy once was them being new to both the pro 35 and the HVX, that was an extremely long gear checkout) and nothing fits together so for the first few days you're constantly sending someone running back to the shop for another bit of gear. Hand held becomes a real problem.

Oh, just as an after thought. In my experience an on board split is in valuable. If working with a smaller handicam it can become useful because the lens is so long and the weight on the tripod is so counterbalanced backwards to compensate that any viewfinder or flip out screen is tucked away behind you if you are operating from somewhere near the panhandle or legs. If you are working with primes or an ENG style cam it isn't as much of an issue but ideally the split should sit somewhere just behind the adapter.

My only last point would be unless you are matching shots to some other "wider open" material shot through the P + S adapter and quicker primes then I would ask why shoot through the adapter at all if you are working with a lens that only opens to T3.1. It is already beginning to verge on the space where the adapter will begin to see itself (the spinning disc can come into focus) on shorter focus shots and the depth of field would be almost similar to wide open on the 2/3" lens wide open ( I'm thing digi primes or the cannons here but you know what I mean) or even wide open and longer on the 1/3" imager on a smaller handi cam style camera.

Do not underestimate how slow this rig becomes. Somewhere around 80 ASA with the HVX and a little gain. That can be a pain in the ass at night or in interiors. It becomes a really different lighting game at that point, can be tough to work under.

Im not trying to put you off, I really like the system. It's just Ive been through some problems assisting on it and shooting with it. I hope I didn't ramble to much, just trying to impart some of my experiences with it.

S