James Wong Howe

In my opinion, one of the greatest cinematographers to have ever lived. His use of subtlety yet aesthetic in lighting creates a look completely his own. Some of my favorites of his include "Hud", "Objective Burma", and "Picnic". I recall seeing an interview he did in his later years where he said he didn't want his lighting to take away from what the story had to tell, but rather "pretty it up". ANy thoughts from the peanut gallery?

• Premium Member

I like Howe's work in "Hud", "Molly Mcquires", and "Sweet Smell of Success" in particular. He developed sort of "clean" style, no frills, over time, that just evoked the mood of the scene without being obvious. Not really a documentary sort of realism, just things pared down to their elements.

The Todd Rainsburger book is a must-read if you like Howe.

He's not really associated with the "noir" style - but take a look at "He Ran All The Way" a film John Berry directed, with John Garfield. I got to see a fresh 35mm print of this and was astonished, very expressionistic tonal planes of light -- hope it's on DVD with a good transfer....

Also the Raoul Walsh "noir western" "Pursued" -- THE darkest western I've ever seen...

-Sam

• 2 weeks later...