Projection Issue

i just made a test print ....infact 2 test prints..one was printed in india and the other one at tecnicolor(bangkok).. the same negative was used for the print.

the bangkok print looked absolutely brilliant in there lab projection...print was 1.85 and was viewed on a 1.85 screen.

the same print seen through a 1.85 gate in the indian lab projection(the screen here is bigger so there are bands on the side) does not look half the same...the sharpness has disapperead it seems...

any thoughts?

Perhaps the lens on the local projector is not very good, or the projector itself has poor registration, channel depth, gate flatness, or a host of other issues. Certainly if you said that the print viewed in one facility looked great but in a second room looked poor, then the print is not at fault. It must be the projection.

Projector bulbs are measured by wattage and the lenses have F-stop transmission measurements just like other lenses, but the important measurement is the actual brightness of illumination hitting the screen. This is measured in Foot Lamberts (fl), and the standard for proper brightness is 16 fl.

....Certainly if you said that the print viewed in one facility looked great but in a second room looked poor, then the print is not at fault. It must be the projection.

He didn't say it was the same print.

He said it was the same negative.

Can you clarify please?

Because to me it sounds like you're saying these were different prints screened, but everyone else posting seems to think you're talking about one print, projected on two projectors/locations, so maybe I'm the one who's wrong.

Certainly if it's the same print, it's the projector at fault, but if not, perhaps you got a bad print made in India?

Which is it?

Matt Pacini

• Premium Member
I'm talking about the same print..the print that i made in technicolor bangkok looked superb at there lab projection .. but in indian lab projection it's not half as close..

Projecting the same print on two different projectors and seeing that big a difference could be caused by several factors:

1. Projector Lens - modern lenses (Isco, Schneider) are MUCH better than old designs for sharpness, field uniformity, and contrast (lack of flare). But even a new lens can be dirty or damaged, or have its anti-reflection coatings worn or scratched.

2. Port Glass - almost as important as the lens. Port glass should not scatter light, and should have anti-reflection coatings. Dirty or scratched glass will kill contrast.

3. Screen Luminance - a dim picture will seem to lack sharpness and contrast, as compared to one projected at the SMPTE standard of 16 footlamberts.

4. Travel Ghost - can be mistaken for a loss of contrast, but obvious as streaks in white titles against black.

Here are some articles that I wrote:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...ak/contrast.pdf

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...pytlak/sins.pdf

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...ytlak/light.pdf