35mm glass on 16mm cams

Adam Thompson

• Premium Member

Was hoping to find someone that has done tests or has general opinions about using 35mm lens on 16mm cams (for super16)

If I need a couple of primes for an Aaton prod, for example, would it be a better idea to look for 35mm glass so that if I have to later on, I could use that same set on another cam, like maybe on a RED, etc.? Of course I'd rent what's needed, but owning maybe a 9 and a 16 (eqv. in 16mm) seems useful.

One DP that I shot some b-roll with once told me he liked using 35mm lenses on 16mm because it was using the 'sweet spot' (center) of the lens, thus maximizing the sharpness, which was more critical in this case since he was shooting a S16 feature going to 35mm print.

• Premium Member

It's a fairly common thing to shoot with 35mm format glass on a 16mm format camera.

Cooke and Zeiss have shorter focal lengths for the S4's and Ultraprimes specifically built for Super 16 with the assumption that you'll use the longer focal lengths from the 35mm format offerings when shooting S16. Why build two complete sets of lenses that cover the same focal lengths.

But, there is a wealth of information about the subject in the archives. I suggest you hit up the search function for some previous threads.

Of course I'd rent what's needed, but owning maybe a 9 and a 16 (eqv. in 16mm) seems useful.

Hi-

There is no 9 and 16 equivalent, you would need to own a 9mm and a 16mm (or whatever focal length you wanted). I'm sure others will point this out too- a 9mm is a 9mm is a 9mm...

• Premium Member
Hi-

There is no 9 and 16 equivalent, you would need to own a 9mm and a 16mm (or whatever focal length you wanted). I'm sure others will point this out too- a 9mm is a 9mm is a 9mm...

Why bother posting that? You assume I don't know what I'm talking about and that you are my teacher now? You didn't understand what I was saying.

And thank you Nathan, I'll check for other posts about the subject, though as with any forums system, it's a good thing to renew a discussion every now and then. Also, addressing the idea of having a basic set of lenses to change between a prod and a sensor cam might be worthy of some opinion or view that wasn't covered before in a 35 to 16cam thread.

• Premium Member

You end up with a problem in the wide range at some point - 35mm lenses are never wide enough on 16mm. And wide angles are also the most expensive lenses, so it's probably good to have a slim set of wides made for 16mm.

• Premium Member
Why bother posting that? You assume I don't know what I'm talking about and that you are my teacher now? You didn't understand what I was saying.

Hi Adam,

Patrick was not the only one who did not understand what you were saying.

What did you mean by "maybe a 9 and a 16 (eqv. in 16mm)"

Stephen

• Premium Member

Thanks to the other Adam ;) That's more along the lines of useful advice. I guess I knew that but wasn't thinking it for some reason.

Does it really matter now Stephen? I guess I forgot to get into similar field of views for a given focal length in each format and wrote that part of my post without paying attention. I'm working on an all day long editing sequence right now and rushed my post but someday, when I get free, or really bored, I'll come back to this post and write out a full page on the subject if you want. I can calculate some focal lengths, multiply some by .06, and compare numbers to what is available on the used market and have all kinds of fun! <_<

• Premium Member
I can calculate some focal lengths, multiply some by .06, and compare numbers to what is available on the used market and have all kinds of fun! <_<

Hi Adam,

Why on earth would you want to multiply focal lengths by anything? Just buy what is written on the lens, it's really very simple.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi Adam,

Why on earth would you want to multiply focal lengths by anything? Just buy what is written on the lens, it's really very simple.

Stephen

Yeah you are right, I'm so stupid. Next time I want a similar field of view on my 16mm camera, as a given lens has on a 35mm cam, I'll just switch that lens over to my Aaton. Wow, I didn't know that the old 9.5mm, 35-format lens in the closet would look the same on both cams. My eyes were lying. Me smart now.

I thought you where on a rush, you sound pretty touchy, maybe if you had someone that will "touchy" you weren't sound like a little princess, people are trying to help you, sopme people are rude some are nice... if I where you I will counter attack with an smart question, not with a stupid whine ... it makes you look foolish ..... at least too me

ps: I actually I going trough the same thing and I also didn't understand what you where saying.....

pss: calm down! nobody is fighting you, we are photographers trying to understand the same as you ok?

happy merry navidad and easter, smile! it will help you in this industry a lot!