Colour temperature/wattage

My question is regarding the relationship between a light's wattage and colour temperature. For example, if I was shooting indoors with a 100w, 650w and 1000w light would there be a big enough difference in colour temperature between the 100w and 1000w that I'd have to balance them out.

Thanks, Jon

• Premium Member
My question is regarding the relationship between a light's wattage and colour temperature. For example, if I was shooting indoors with a 100w, 650w and 1000w light would there be a big enough difference in colour temperature between the 100w and 1000w that I'd have to balance them out.

Thanks, Jon

The wattage does not determine color temp. However, household bulbs generally are near 2800K whereas a 1K movie lamp would be 3200K. If you want to get picky, you could put 1/8 or 1/4 CTO or CTS on the 1K to match better, or use photo enlarger bulbs instead of household bulbs (210, 211, 212, 213).

when you talking tungsten light, that mean you're working at 3.200K (degree kelvin), when you have different wattage that's only the power of each lights 100w, 650w, 1kw tungsten lights there are not differences in color temperature...,because all that lights work at 3.200K, unless you use a dimmer, that change the temperature lights when you decrease the power (when you do that you can see more "yellow" the normal light) or when you use a HMI 5.400K (degree kelvin) light mixing with tungsten lights there you can see a differences temperatures...

maybe in this links you found a lot of technical words, but it hep you...

http://www.cameraguild.com/technology/colorimetry.htm