Beaulieu, Pentaflex, Scoopic?

Tony Driver

As my K-3 has a registering problem, I'm considering buying another camera. Possibly either a Pentaflex AK16 or a Beaulieu. I had been looking for a Kinor 16CX - 1M, but can't find one at the moment.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations for anything sub £600?

As my K-3 has a registering problem, I'm considering buying another camera. Possibly either a Pentaflex AK16 or a Beaulieu. I had been looking for a Kinor 16CX - 1M, but can't find one at the moment.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations for anything sub £600?

you could get a decent bolex sub £600.

you could get a decent bolex sub £600.

if you're having a reg prob, all of those (bolex, pentaflex and the other) won't have a reg pin...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Proffessional-16mm-m...1QQcmdZViewItem

the only drag there is that there's no 120m mag. I ate s...it because the one i bought did not have one but i got one recentely than, my life changed, so much freedom, it was like a new tampax.

Don't go for cams without a reg pin. and i'm not trying to say anything but after i discoverd sinthetic grease... god... it got so much smoother! 34db measured!!!

Guest Ian Marks

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, of course, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the registration pin issue. I've only handled one Pentaflex (they're not often seen here in L.A.) but it wasn't something I could take seriously for actual filmmaking. The Beaulieus are capable of delivering nice steady images, are good to hand-hold, and have the advantage of a guillotine mirror shutter and C-mount compatibility, making all kinds of lenses available to you. Some of the later models have a lot of electronic bits that can go wrong - meter, power zoom, auto-exposure module - so you'd want to be very sure of the camera you're buying. I've never liked the original (grey) Scoopic, but with the succeeding models (the M and MS) Canon got it right with a sharp, macro-focusing lens and Super-8-like simplicity. Neither the Beaulieu nor the Canon lend themselves to Super-16 conversion, but it doesn't sound like that's an issue for you. And, as someone else suggested, there is always the Bolex. If you get a later "flat base" model (which has a "dwell claw" movement to ensure very steady registration), you should be pleased with the results. Hope this helps.

anyway what do need?

something compact with 100feet-load to gather images where ever you go? then get a bolex, beaulieu or another K3, if you wan't to experiment with single frame, time-exposure, variable speed, variable shutter etc.. and don't need sound or sync then go bolex

If you do storybased stuff with dialog and sound and need 400feet-mags, but can't afford arri or aaton then go eclair or cp

anyway what do need?

something compact with 100feet-load to gather images where ever you go? then get a bolex, beaulieu or another K3, if you wan't to experiment with single frame, time-exposure, variable speed, variable shutter etc.. and don't need sound or sync then go bolex

If you do storybased stuff with dialog and sound and need 400feet-mags, but can't afford arri or aaton then go eclair or cp

I've seen a nice RX4 for sale, with a couple of lenses spare - so might be able to get a long Angenieux lens with it for about £600