Getting ready for a feature

F Bulgarelli

Hello everyone,

I'm finally getting a chance to shoot my first feature, it's a really cool project, black and white anamorphic, we shot some stuff a few years back and the director is finally getting the financing to finish it.

I wanted to ask for advice from feature DP's, what kind of process you go through when getting ready for your feature and during the shoot.

I feel like one of the most difficult and important things is to maintain consistency during the process, is there anything in particular you do to help maintain that consistency.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Francisco

Absolutely be prepared, because your going to be working very hard for a long time day after day with no breaks. If your prepared you'll do fine. For me its always been pre visualization, whether its in your head or on a page, and tech scouts so you can communicate to your crew exactly what your looking for for each set up.

• Premium Member

Know your first week of shooting backwards and forwards, shot by shot -- over-prepare for the first week. You can be more reactive, spontaneous, and improvise more as the shoot goes on, as you know the crew and actors better, know what sort of pace you can expect, etc.

Shoot some tests.

Know your first week of shooting backwards and forwards, shot by shot -- over-prepare for the first week. You can be more reactive, spontaneous, and improvise more as the shoot goes on, as you know the crew and actors better, know what sort of pace you can expect, etc.

Shoot some tests.

Thanks Guys,

here is the trailer for you to check out.

http://www.johnnyxmovie.com/trailer/trailer.php

This is a sort of retro science fiction (if there is such a term) comedy/musical that takes place in the 50'-60's about an outer space gang that is sent to earth as punishment for their criminal behavior in their planet. Pretty bizzard, I know.

Please let me know your thoughts.

regards,

Francisco

I was amused, the style of shooting was a bit modern for the theme, but that's ok as it added to the ambiance of the piece.

Can't wait to see the finished project.

Thanks Nate,

One of our main references is The Apartment, which coincidentally is an anamorphic film.

Does any one know what was the speed of panavision anamorphic lenses in 1960? I wonder if they use PlusX stock for the night exteriors and interiors or if even existed then. what we have shot so far didn't involved night exteriors and that's one of my main concerns, I'm thinking about testing 5222 again, eventough I recall it being a bit too grainy.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Francisco

I'm no DP, but I'll tell you what to get:

Shoes. Comfy shoes. Have some cozy insoles on hand too. What Im finding is to have two pairs of sneaks, and at lunch or half way through the day, change your shoes. It'll make a world of difference.

anyone out there with any info on "The Apartment" David??

I was watching it today and my conclusion is: It's one of the best films ever made. (period)

I'm sure the rest of the world agrees.

Eventhough is pretty high key, I liked what they did in the bar scenes and then the simmetry of the work area, with all the workers in perfect straight lines. Classic!

fb