Green VS Blue Screening

Ryan Handley

Hello,

After weeks of reading diffrent articles on the internet I'm stuck. I was orginaly going to use green but so many diffrent sites have said to use blue for various reasons. I have tested the green and I seem to get some spilling around the hair and shoulders.

Although I have not yet tried blue I was wondering if anyone could give me there oppions on what you think is better to use? I don't want to loose any more time and money if I'm going to get the same or less quality results.

I'm using a Panasonic mini DV DVX100A camera and doing the keying in After Effects.

Thanks,

Ryan

• Premium Member

Hi,

Green is generally better for video work. The reason for this is that the Y channel image data, which does not lose resolution through subsampling, is comprised of a greater proportion of green data than red or blue. Further explanations of these factors are doubtless available by googling.

If you must use blue, NTSC DV suffers more than PAL DV because of the way the colour sampling works. It really depends what you need out of it - if it needs to be an invisible seamless effect, then that's going to be quite difficult to achieve using any kind of DV and either colour. For weather-presenter type results, either system is capable of producing something reasonable. In my experience, problems with chromakey are more usually tied up with other issues, most often the subject being too close to a screen that isn't big enough.

Phil

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

In my opinion it just depends what you?re shooting against. Blue seems to work better with indoor/night shots, and green for outdoors/sunny conditions.

But, I'm sure there is more to it, but I can't tell you (reason being that I haven?t a bloody clue)

Setting the issue of green is better for video aside.

The chroma color you choose relates to the colors the talent is wearing.

I.E. if the talent is wearing blues and reds you use a chroma green, yellow etc.

If the talent is mostly green than a chroma blue, red screen is called for.

Look at the colors the talent wears and choose your screen or dress the talent to accommodate the screen you have.

Sometimes you just have to compromise and use the one that saves you the most work in post.

Mr. Bill