upgrade bolex REX4 to Super 16

andres victorero

Hi i just got a Bolex REX4 in good condition.

I´m thinking to upgrade to Super 16 + 13X viewfinder. JBK do this conversion + lube (around 1500 $)

http://www.jkcamera.com/Super16.htm

what do you think about this? Is a good choice spend money to convert to S16 this camera? I have a Aaton LTR7 S16 and I´m looking for a small and easy to travel S16 cam, but I´m not sure about covert this model or find a Bolex SBM to covert it to S16. Pros, cons? any advice?

thanks to all.

Edited by andres victorero

Hi Andres,

I have a Rex5 that I am just about to have JK convert to s16. I am assuming you don't plan to ever use to 400ft mag?

The only reasons to go with an SBM would be if you wanted to use a PL-mount adapter at some point to put some modern glass on the camera - or if you planned to use some heavy zooms/35mm primes that would weigh your Rex4 turret down (e.g., bayonet-only mount Kern zoom lens).

Even so, you could always get Les Bosher to convert your Rex4 and he would replace the C mount with a Bolex bayonet (a little bit more $). So I would say go with JK unless you plan to use PL glass.

Hi i just got a Bolex REX4 in good condition.

I´m thinking to upgrade to Super 16 + 13X viewfinder. JBK do this conversion + lube (around 1500 $)

http://www.jkcamera.com/Super16.htm

what do you think about this? Is a good choice spend money to convert to S16 this camera? I have a Aaton LTR7 S16 and I´m looking for a small and easy to travel S16 cam, but I´m not sure about covert this model or find a Bolex SBM to covert it to S16. Pros, cons? any advice?

thanks to all.

Edited by Babar Khan

It is very cool to have a clockwork (spring wound) super16 camera. No batteries and compact size will be far more encouraging to just go out and grab certain things than a fully configured production camera.

I think there are stupider things to spend the money on than the conversion.

Good point about the PL mount option, however.

yeh man - a nice RX4 or above with a a nice set of Switar macro primes is a sweet thing indeed - very classy, a certain 'Man with a Movie Camera' gravitas to be sure ... get hand-cranking with your cheesecutter, suspenders and riding pants

I would rather spring for the aforementioned Switar macro/preset primes that will all fits on the turret at once (10mm, 26mm and 75mm) than a PL mount system, they are up there with Ziess Superspeeds in terms of clarity/sharpness if thats your look ... the 26mm is 1,1 btw...

Welcome to Team Bolex ;)

I am assuming you don't plan to ever use to 400ft mag?

I think I read it on one of these threads, but I think JK camera can add a 400' magazine dealie to a RX-4 (or did so at one time). Maybe by special request nowadays?

Edited by Sir Alvin Ecarma

I think I read it on one of these threads, but I think JK camera can add a 400' magazine dealie to a RX-4 (or did so at one time). Maybe by special request nowadays?

You can buy the mount as a spare part directly from Bolex - like they do with the finders... you do have to machine out the hole from the actual body though...

still with any wind-up using a 400' requires a motor - heavy heavy heavy, they really arent suited to it

Thanks to all.

Finally I´m decided to convert to S16 the bolex. I´m in Spain (Europe) and I need advice about where I must to send it to do the S16 conversion. I know the following companies

- Bolex International - Switzerland (around 2600 $) S16 conversion + total overhaul

- Les Bosher - UK

- JK Camera (1500 $) S16 conversion + lube

Any other place? what do you think about this companies?

thanks again