Scene near the pool

hi

we are about to shoot a scene by the pool with about 100 asa

i wanted to get the reflections of the water on the faces of the people plus i want to bring out the light blueish tone which the pool walls already have (a shot includes the pool=)

we have been thinking about hydroflexe's underwater pars, but thinking again, if we arent shooting underwater at all, wouldnt usual hmis shot into the water be enough?

if anyone's got experience with that, i'd love to read about it

thanks in advance

• Premium Member

I am assuming this is a night scene?

I did a big night time party scene around a pool, I wanted the pool to glow (it was in the shot), and I also wanted some moving water effects to be projected on the set and talent.

For the pool I just bounced 10 or so 1k PARs spread around the pool (out of frame) to light up the pool fairly evenly.

I also had additional light sources for the party (18k 'moon light' and then a bunch of smaller units), and they did exactly what I was looking for.

post-37-1181897453_thumb.jpg

post-37-1181897473_thumb.jpg

post-37-1181897486_thumb.jpg

The shot was one big Steadicam move (done fantastically by Randy Nolan) that follows the girl (below) through the party and ending in a MS of these two couples.

post-37-1181897501_thumb.jpg

post-37-1181897512_thumb.jpg

(note these still were taken directly off of the waveform monitor, they are a bit off from the final image, my DIT felt the gamma was different as was the noise level)

Kevin Zanit

They look really good Kevin. What did you shoot with? What monitor are those stills off of?

Also, a small note/question:

In the fourth picture (with the girl crouching by the pool) on top of the frame I can make out the bottom of light stands, possibly stand bags, and the harsh shadows that PARs seem to be casting. I'm guessing this is just a random still with parts of the set showing and not actual footage, correct?

If this is actual footage, what is that supposed to be, and what is the motivation for such a low angled harsh light?

(sorry for sounding obtuse but I'm just picky with details)

• Premium Member

The shadows being cast are from lit tike torches actually, no lighting gear on that side of the set. That is a uncorrected grab from either a rehearsal or a take.

The light is lower than I would have liked it to be, just no way to go any higher (in a practical way). It was an 18k about 24' high (slightly taller than the roof of the house), so it is somewhat low angle. That said, the part of the take that this still is from is only on screen for a few seconds, so no real time to study it like we can off a still, so I am not real concerned.

post-37-1181955576_thumb.jpg

The camera was a Panavised F900 and the still was taken off a Leader Waveform monitor with a CF card slot.

Kevin Zanit

Great lighting Kevin! With regards to shoot lights at pools. Bouncing off the water will give a pretty good effect. Be sure you bag all the lights securely and watch out for puddles of water. If you have actors or crew in the water use a GFI to reduce the chance of electrocution.

thank you very much!

your still looks very good, although it woould be a bit to high key for our purpose ;)

but the pool looks exactly like i wanted it.. so i will go for something like this in our shot!

maybe i can take a few stills as well and post them too after the shoot!

thanks again

I did a big night time party scene around a pool, I wanted the pool to glow (it was in the shot), and I also wanted some moving water effects to be projected on the set and talent.

For the pool I just bounced 10 or so 1k PARs spread around the pool (out of frame) to light up the pool fairly evenly.

Out of curiousity, why did you choose PARs specifically?