Convert a Bolex H16 to S16 in JK camera

andres victorero

Hi Andres,

IMHO the best Bolex for S-16 conversion is a 3 lens turret RX4 or 5, if you can use all three lenses, preferable the Switar set 10, 26 and 50 or 75mm. I own some of them. The conversion was done by a german mechanic, who meanwhile has retired. His specialty was to center the optical system to the wider frame by shifting the film canal, not at all touching the turret. The recentering is done exactly, so you can use the 10mm Switar without any vignetting. No warries with the film transport, image steadiness etc. He has done hundreds of cameras for several TV stations. If you need the 16-100mm Zoom Switar, the bayonet mount might be a good choice, but the Switar prime set on a turret might be even better for easy hand held shooting and best image quality. As mentioned before, I have some of them and perhaps could give one away. If you are interested, let me know. Its cheaper than the JK conversion.

Cheers, Volker.

Hi Andres,

IMHO the best Bolex for S-16 conversion is a 3 lens turret RX4 or 5, if you can use all three lenses, preferable the Switar set 10, 26 and 50 or 75mm. I own some of them. The conversion was done by a german mechanic, who meanwhile has retired. His specialty was to center the optical system to the wider frame by shifting the film canal, not at all touching the turret. The recentering is done exactly, so you can use the 10mm Switar without any vignetting. No warries with the film transport, image steadiness etc. He has done hundreds of cameras for several TV stations. If you need the 16-100mm Zoom Switar, the bayonet mount might be a good choice, but the Switar prime set on a turret might be even better for easy hand held shooting and best image quality. As mentioned before, I have some of them and perhaps could give one away. If you are interested, let me know. Its cheaper than the JK conversion.

Cheers, Volker.

What on earth is a film canal ? Interested to find out how it was done exactly ...

A 10mm preset or older will vignette in super16 - I've had this discussion over and over here, people simply crop the image to remove the vignette and say it was shot on a 10mm, yes ok it was a 10mm, but the format was more like super15 ...